Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • krapulaxdoctor
    Member
    • May 2015
    • 22

    #1

    Problem with UCSC GTF files??

    Hi,

    I would like to ask for some opinion and advice related to the different available GTF-file sources for annotated genes.(mm10, but others as well)
    I did some search to avoid duplicate entries, (sorry if It is still one).
    The topic I would like to discuss is briefly mentioned at other forums, but was never discussed thoroughly that gave a satisfactory explanation.

    I wanted to download GTF files (mm10) from UCSC genome browser to have reference genes and transcript variants for differential transcript variant expression and splicing analyses.

    However, it looks like no matter how I was setting up the table browser (UCSC genes, NCBI refseq, etc) the obtained GTF files from UCSC browser were not suitable for such analyses.
    I noticed that these GTF files (from UCSC) treat each transcript variants as a separate gene, since the "transcript ID" is identical to "gene ID" in these files. (did I do something wrong?)
    For these analyses I need a GTF file where each gene ID is linked ( aka repeated ) to multiple transcript variants (if there are variants of course). The only source I found such GTF file is Gencode and Ensembl.
    However, these files contain approx 50000 genes and 150000 transcript variants which I found too much due to predictions. While the UCSC has approx 38000 entries which might be less redundant and speculative? (no idea)

    I would like to ask for some advice about where to find / how to make an optimal GTF file that would be suitable for differential splicing/ transc. variant expression analyses?

    Would you recommend to avoid using UCSC GTF files for expression analyses in general?

    Thank you for your help.

    Best.

Latest Articles

Collapse

  • SEQadmin2
    New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
    by SEQadmin2


    Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

    We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
    ...
    Yesterday, 10:25 AM
  • SEQadmin2
    How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
    by SEQadmin2




    The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

    This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
    09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
0 responses
7 views
0 reactions
Last Post SEQadmin2  
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
0 responses
31 views
0 reactions
Last Post SEQadmin2  
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
0 responses
26 views
0 reactions
Last Post SEQadmin2  
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
1 response
47 views
0 reactions
Last Post pekgio
by pekgio
 
Working...