Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • odile
    Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 30

    #1

    expiration adapters

    Hi everyone,

    I am buying the library prep reagents from NEB. Unfortunately, the kit doesn't contain adapters and oligos. I know Illumina sells a kit with only adapters and oligos but the only format is for 100 reactions, costs more than $ 5,000 and expire in 3 months .
    Does anyone know a place where I could buy cheaper adapters? I know I could buy ssDNA and make the adapters myself but I guess I'd more confident to buy the product ready to go. However, if you make your adapters yourself, I'd love to hear about your experience.
    $ 5,300$ for 100 reactions..that's simply outrageous .
  • odile
    Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 30

    #2
    Hmmm..nobody?

    Another question then: does anyone knows why the Adapters/Oligo kits from Illumina expires after 3 months only? Is there really a reason or is it just marketing? How old are the oldest adapters you've used with success?

    Comment

    • protist
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2009
      • 101

      #3
      We bought an adapter only kit on 2008 and switched over to 'home-brew' adapters in early 2009. I have used adapters from the original 2008 Illumina stock as recently as July 2011 and have had no problems. However using Illumina reagents past their sell-by is very much at your own risk. Note there is not TruSeq oligo only kit and the adapter kit (PE-102-1003 | Paired-End DNA Sample Prep Oligo Only Kit (100 samples) is for single-plex sequencing.

      Comment

      • odile
        Member
        • Sep 2009
        • 30

        #4
        Thanks a lot Protist. When asked, Illumina is not able to give an explanation for this short shelf life. I wouldn't use any enzymes from my expired kits, just the adapters and primers since I have a NEB kit with fresh enzymes. I also just saw that the prep kit sold by Bioo scientific (compatible with Illumina) is good for 12 months at minus 20 deg!!

        Comment

        • protist
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2009
          • 101

          #5
          Not sure if you are doing genomic or RNAseq but the TruSeq sample prep kits are worth looking at - this is coming from a person has been committed to 'Home Brew' indexed libraries since 2009 - the price per TruSeq reaction is fairly competitive these days... Now if only they would hurry up and bring out a TruSeq oligo only kit....

          Comment

          • RNAseqer
            Member
            • Sep 2010
            • 22

            #6
            Hi Odile,

            We use those prep kits too. Many of them are coming near 1 year and they are working very well for us. I bet the short time period is unwarranted.

            Originally posted by odile View Post
            Thanks a lot Protist. When asked, Illumina is not able to give an explanation for this short shelf life. I wouldn't use any enzymes from my expired kits, just the adapters and primers since I have a NEB kit with fresh enzymes. I also just saw that the prep kit sold by Bioo scientific (compatible with Illumina) is good for 12 months at minus 20 deg!!

            Comment

            • pmiguel
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2008
              • 2328

              #7
              Originally posted by protist View Post
              Not sure if you are doing genomic or RNAseq but the TruSeq sample prep kits are worth looking at - this is coming from a person has been committed to 'Home Brew' indexed libraries since 2009 - the price per TruSeq reaction is fairly competitive these days... Now if only they would hurry up and bring out a TruSeq oligo only kit....
              And a non-methylated TruSeq oligo only kit for people who want to do MeDIP...

              --
              Phillip

              Comment

              • odile
                Member
                • Sep 2009
                • 30

                #8
                Originally posted by protist View Post
                Not sure if you are doing genomic or RNAseq but the TruSeq sample prep kits are worth looking at - this is coming from a person has been committed to 'Home Brew' indexed libraries since 2009 - the price per TruSeq reaction is fairly competitive these days... Now if only they would hurry up and bring out a TruSeq oligo only kit....
                TrueSeq? naaah. We're still using these old DNA prep kits (I think they stopped selling them).

                Is anyone using kits from Bioo scientific? They have very competitive prices.

                Comment

                • odile
                  Member
                  • Sep 2009
                  • 30

                  #9
                  Originally posted by RNAseqer View Post
                  Hi Odile,

                  We use those prep kits too. Many of them are coming near 1 year and they are working very well for us. I bet the short time period is unwarranted.
                  I think you're right. This is outrageous marketing BS

                  Comment

                  • ScottC
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2008
                    • 244

                    #10
                    We were some time ago, by our Illumina FSE, that three months is the 'default' expiration date for products that have not been stored 'on the shelf' by Illumina for longer periods to test their true expiry date. Back in the day, all Illumina kits came with a three month expiry date.

                    Comment

                    • advanT
                      Member
                      • Oct 2009
                      • 22

                      #11
                      Hi Odile, Pmiguel,

                      I believe the Bioo adapters are not methylated so they work nicely with medip.
                      Their adapter and sample prep are working well for us.

                      Comment

                      • odile
                        Member
                        • Sep 2009
                        • 30

                        #12
                        ScottC, advanT, thanks for sharing. I hope I can test the Bioo scientific kits soon. They have several options for the tags: they can be in the primers or in the adaptors.

                        Comment

                        Latest Articles

                        Collapse

                        • SEQadmin2
                          New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                          by SEQadmin2


                          Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                          We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                          ...
                          Yesterday, 10:25 AM
                        • SEQadmin2
                          How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                          by SEQadmin2




                          The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                          This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                          09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                        ad_right_rmr

                        Collapse

                        News

                        Collapse

                        Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
                        0 responses
                        7 views
                        0 reactions
                        Last Post SEQadmin2  
                        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                        0 responses
                        31 views
                        0 reactions
                        Last Post SEQadmin2  
                        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                        0 responses
                        26 views
                        0 reactions
                        Last Post SEQadmin2  
                        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                        1 response
                        46 views
                        0 reactions
                        Last Post pekgio
                        by pekgio
                         
                        Working...