No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• expiration adapters

Hi everyone,

I am buying the library prep reagents from NEB. Unfortunately, the kit doesn't contain adapters and oligos. I know Illumina sells a kit with only adapters and oligos but the only format is for 100 reactions, costs more than $ 5,000 and expire in 3 months .
    Does anyone know a place where I could buy cheaper adapters? I know I could buy ssDNA and make the adapters myself but I guess I'd more confident to buy the product ready to go. However, if you make your adapters yourself, I'd love to hear about your experience.
    $ 5,300$ for 100 reactions..that's simply outrageous .

Hmmm..nobody?

Another question then: does anyone knows why the Adapters/Oligo kits from Illumina expires after 3 months only? Is there really a reason or is it just marketing? How old are the oldest adapters you've used with success?

Comment

We bought an adapter only kit on 2008 and switched over to 'home-brew' adapters in early 2009. I have used adapters from the original 2008 Illumina stock as recently as July 2011 and have had no problems. However using Illumina reagents past their sell-by is very much at your own risk. Note there is not TruSeq oligo only kit and the adapter kit (PE-102-1003 | Paired-End DNA Sample Prep Oligo Only Kit (100 samples) is for single-plex sequencing.

Comment

Thanks a lot Protist. When asked, Illumina is not able to give an explanation for this short shelf life. I wouldn't use any enzymes from my expired kits, just the adapters and primers since I have a NEB kit with fresh enzymes. I also just saw that the prep kit sold by Bioo scientific (compatible with Illumina) is good for 12 months at minus 20 deg!!

Comment

Not sure if you are doing genomic or RNAseq but the TruSeq sample prep kits are worth looking at - this is coming from a person has been committed to 'Home Brew' indexed libraries since 2009 - the price per TruSeq reaction is fairly competitive these days... Now if only they would hurry up and bring out a TruSeq oligo only kit....

Comment

Hi Odile,

We use those prep kits too. Many of them are coming near 1 year and they are working very well for us. I bet the short time period is unwarranted.

Originally posted by odile View Post
            Thanks a lot Protist. When asked, Illumina is not able to give an explanation for this short shelf life. I wouldn't use any enzymes from my expired kits, just the adapters and primers since I have a NEB kit with fresh enzymes. I also just saw that the prep kit sold by Bioo scientific (compatible with Illumina) is good for 12 months at minus 20 deg!!

Comment

Originally posted by protist View Post
              Not sure if you are doing genomic or RNAseq but the TruSeq sample prep kits are worth looking at - this is coming from a person has been committed to 'Home Brew' indexed libraries since 2009 - the price per TruSeq reaction is fairly competitive these days... Now if only they would hurry up and bring out a TruSeq oligo only kit....
              And a non-methylated TruSeq oligo only kit for people who want to do MeDIP...

--
              Phillip

Comment

Originally posted by protist View Post
                TrueSeq? naaah. We're still using these old DNA prep kits (I think they stopped selling them).

Is anyone using kits from Bioo scientific? They have very competitive prices.

Comment

Originally posted by RNAseqer View Post
                  Hi Odile,

We use those prep kits too. Many of them are coming near 1 year and they are working very well for us. I bet the short time period is unwarranted.
                  I think you're right. This is outrageous marketing BS

Comment

We were some time ago, by our Illumina FSE, that three months is the 'default' expiration date for products that have not been stored 'on the shelf' by Illumina for longer periods to test their true expiry date. Back in the day, all Illumina kits came with a three month expiry date.

Comment

Hi Odile, Pmiguel,

I believe the Bioo adapters are not methylated so they work nicely with medip.
                      Their adapter and sample prep are working well for us.

Comment

ScottC, advanT, thanks for sharing. I hope I can test the Bioo scientific kits soon. They have several options for the tags: they can be in the primers or in the adaptors.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                        • seqadmin
                          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post seqadmin  
                        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                        0 responses