No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• >100bp hiseq read length ?

Hi,

Has anyone experience of >100bp reads with HiSeq1000/2000 ?
    (TruSeq v3 chemistry)

We could make good use of slightly longer reads than 100bp.
    We are also going to waste reagents from a 200 cycle kit otherwise (only want single end read + index).

Wondered if anyone had any data. If so what the qualities are like at 3' end of reads etc.
    I do realise Illumina only officially support 100bp.

regards

david

I know the sequencing center here at Berkeley has the option for 150bp, both single and paired end (although looking back through the calendar I don't know if anyone's done 150 single end). You might try getting in touch with them for advice.

Comment

Originally posted by dvh View Post
      We are also going to waste reagents from a 200 cycle kit otherwise (only want single end read + index).

david
      When we run an SR 100bp + index we mix 2 50 cycle kits (each good for at least 57 cycles) so there's little waste.

Comment

Originally posted by dvh View Post
        Hi,

Has anyone experience of >100bp reads with HiSeq1000/2000 ?
        (TruSeq v3 chemistry)

We could make good use of slightly longer reads than 100bp.

Wondered if anyone had any data. If so what the qualities are like at 3' end of reads etc.
        I do realise Illumina only officially support 100bp.

regards

david
        If you are going to waste the reagents anyway, go for the 150 nt read. Why not? If you do, please post your results here.

BTW, I would bet that most places offering 150 nt Illumina reads are doing those reads on a GA-IIx. (Or a MiSeq...)

--
        Phillip

Comment

The 150bp pe is crappy-- here is a plot from 1/5 (40 million reads) of a recent v3 HiSeq run. Note the 3' end of the read is >>5% error.

For me, the 100PE is the way to go, after getting these results.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by peromhc View Post
            The 150bp pe is crappy-- here is a plot from 1/5 (40 million reads) of a recent v3 HiSeq run. Note the 3' end of the read is >>5% error.

For me, the 100PE is the way to go, after getting these results.
            Maybe out to 125 nt? At lower densities (less than 500 K/mm2) quality might stay above an acceptable level out to 150?

I tend to agree with you though. Not sure there is much utility in scraping another 50 nt from a run, when you could be 1/2 through a new run by the time it finished.

--
            Phillip

Comment

thanks for your graph peromhc.

it does look like we might be able to make use of HiSeq+Truseq v3 data out to 125-130bp as pmiguel suggests.

for the application we want (amplicon sequencing with bidirectional sequencing primers) longer reads offer something more reads (or paired reads) do not !

regards, dvh.

(ps: we tried GAIIx 150bp reads, with multiple lanes loaded with 1 to 16pM of the same library. Cluster density seemed to make no difference to 3' base call quality, surprisingly. Not currently the same TruSeq chemistry as HiSeq though)

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses