No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Cycle Int (PF)

Dear All,

What are 1st Cycle Int (PF) values one could consider to be still acceptable? We have had values going down run after run. We had values around 200 in the first runs we did. These intensities have been going down steadily until we reached values of around 25. At this point error rates went clearly up in the longer reads.

Thanks

I'd normally like to see initial intensity values close to 200. I'd be concerned if the values were below 100, and I'm amazed you got any usable data with starting intensities of 25.

Comment

What Simon said.

If it has steadily been decreasing and is now at 25 you should get your service engineer in as soon as possible.
      Last edited by kmcarr; 10-02-2009, 06:57 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

The mode scramble was replaced in the meantime.
        The problem is that the service engineer don't want to give a lower limit for the 1st Cycle Int (PF) at which one should consider it to low.
        What kind of values do other people see?

Comment

We've had the mode scrambler replaced on ours too. We've also had to replace the green laser, the focus laser, the stage as well as a couple of other things I can't remember right now.

I have also had similar experiences with Illumina representatives not giving direct answers to (what I think) are simple questions. Like you they would not define a lower limit for acceptable first base intensity. I'm starting to get the impression that Illumina does not have as good a handle on their technology as they thought they did and are now trying to cover until they learn more themselves.

As for what kind of 1st base intensities we see it can range anywhere from 100-200. If it goes below 100 I feel uneasy. I would really like them to be consistently ~200.

Comment

(Disclaimer, I work at Illumina) The reason for the confusion is that the intensity varies quite a bit depending on the model of the GA (GAIIx has a much lower starting intensity than GAII), how long the exposure is set, exactly how the machine was calibrated, the density of the flowcell, the recipe, and the analysis software to name a few. Because of all this, I think technicians don't like to jump to conclusions as many issues overlap. I generally see GAIIs start around 200 and GAIIx usually starts around 100 though this varies by machine. Though I have seen runs that were very good at an intensity of 50 as well. The key is to notice trends in a particular machine, if you see it start to drop consistently it's indicative of a problem.

It's also true that we're still learning quite a bit about the technology and Illumina tends to move things from RnD to production very fast. This gives you the advantage of the crazy leaps in yield we've been seeing but unfortunately things aren't quite as solid as a release that tests for half a year or more before release.

Brad

Comment

Intensities drop slowly during the successive cycles. When you do a PE, the second read typically starts at 60% of the first read intensity and it will drop also during successive cycles. When you do PE, 76 bp reads my impression is that an 1st Cycle Int of 50 will make that the intensity will probably drop too low and error rates in the later cycles will increase.
              How many cycles where these runs that stared at 50 and where very good?

Comment

Actually they were very long runs with a few knobs on the GA cranked up to 11. But you're right, it would have been better had it been higher. The point I wanted to make is that the intensity is very machine and analysis dependent. You're right in saying the intensities should be constant across the machine using the same analysis using a known good sample.
                Last edited by basickler; 10-06-2009, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Whilst we're on this topic, we had an odd occurrence in a recent run. All of our lanes showed low initial intensities (around 50 or so), but the first base report showed initial intensities of ~200. Despite this the data quality from the run seemed very good with low error rates in PhiX.

Any idea why this sort of discrepancy might suddenly show up. We've not seen this before on our machines, and as far as we're aware we haven't changed anything to cause this. We have an engineer coming to look at the machine, but wondered if anyone else had seen anything similar?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses