No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question in terminology

Dear all,

I received a file with some explenation about a sequence, however there is something I dont understand.

"A K-mer refers to an artificial sequence division of K nucleotides. A raw sequencing read with L bp contains (L-K+1) K-mers if the length of each K-mer is K bp. The frequency of each K-mer can be calculated from the raw genome sequencing reads"

I know what a K-mer is, but where do they get the L bp from?
    What is this L bp?

Length in bases Id guess.. Makes sense

Comment

Originally posted by JackieBadger View Post
      Length in bases Id guess.. Makes sense
      Yes I know its a length of bases, but what does it represent?

What is the L bp in relationship to the K-mer?

Is the K-mer a piece of the L bp ?

Comment

Question in terminology

L is the length of the read in base pairs, and yes, the k-mer is a piece of the read.

For example, if you had a read that was 50 bp long, and wanted to use k-mers of length 47, then you would get 50-47+1=4 kmers from your read.

The first kmer would be bases 1-47 of the read, the second kmer would be bases 2-48 of the read, the third kmer bases 3-49 and the fourth one bases 4-50, assuming you were also using a step size of 1.

Are you doing de novo assembly?

Comment

Originally posted by mastal View Post
          L is the length of the read in base pairs, and yes, the k-mer is a piece of the read.

For example, if you had a read that was 50 bp long, and wanted to use k-mers of length 47, then you would get 50-47+1=4 kmers from your read.

The first kmer would be bases 1-47 of the read, the second kmer would be bases 2-48 of the read, the third kmer bases 3-49 and the fourth one bases 4-50, assuming you were also using a step size of 1.

Are you doing de novo assembly?
          Ah ok.
          It also said: Typically, K = 17.
          So I guess they use 17 as a stanard length.

I am not doing it myself, we are doing it with the help of a company that does it for us.

But indeed, the goal is a de novo assembly.

Comment

17 is an arbitrary size. Depending on the assembler, the length of the reads, and their quality, quite frequently much higher values will give you better assembles.

Note that most assemblers prefer/demand odd length kmers, so that no kmer is its own reverse complement. Programs using kmers for other purposes may not impose that restriction.

Comment

Originally posted by krobison View Post
              17 is an arbitrary size. Depending on the assembler, the length of the reads, and their quality, quite frequently much higher values will give you better assembles.

Note that most assemblers prefer/demand odd length kmers, so that no kmer is its own reverse complement. Programs using kmers for other purposes may not impose that restriction.
              Ok, I see what you mean.
              I allready had that idea.
              The odd numbered lenght kmers sounds logical! Good you told me, I would not have figured that out myself I think.

Comment

Originally posted by krobison View Post
                Could you explain this?
                I do not see why it has to be an odd number.
                Perhaps with a simple example.

Comment

AAATTT: reverse complement is the same.
                  AAAATTT: reverse complement is AAATTTT.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses