No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximum Sample per MiSeq Run

Hi,

In both of MiSeq manual and Custom Amplicon Prep. Guide, it is said that maximum 96 samples can be read per run. It is seen that number of i5 and i7 primers (w/ indices) limits the number of samples.

There are 8 different i5 primers and 12 different i7 primers and combination of these create tags for 96 samples. Is it possible to design additional i5 or i7 primers (w/ custom indices) to increase sample number that can be read per run?

Thank you,
    Last edited by Nikvailo; 04-14-2013, 11:14 AM.

We do MiSeq runs with 300+ amplicons per run. We are currently limited by primer cost, not the HiSeq hardware/software. The keys are (IMO):
    1) having the bioinformatic support to sort out the reads when the run is done
    2) properly designing barcodes/indexes/tags so that they are sufficiently difference from each other to believe custom sample barcodes (97+) wouldn't be mis-called as barcode 1-96 or (each other) when you are sorting out which reads go to which barcodes.

Comment

It all depends on the depth you want to achieve per amplicon.
      We run ~ 1000 samples per run achieving depths in the 1000s

Comment

We scale to 400-1000 samples for amplicon library prep for a flow cell lane on Hiseq and 50-200 samples for miseq easily. Just make sure your barcoding steps are clean and contamination free to prevent "bleed-over" of falsely indexed amplicon products between sample indices. IDT offers Trugrade NGS barcoding primers that work quite well and are worth the investment for zero cross-contamination of reagents. Our libraries are focused panels of 15 to ~100 amplicons per sample.

-Tom

Comment

Oh, and yes, you need custom bioinformatics/software pipeline to parse out the custom indexes for each sample. The 96 limit is probably Illumina's limit based on their own reagent kits.

-Tom

Comment

Dual-indexing should scale cheaply to 384, 1536 and beyond. Uising a pair of indexes to create some thing unique allows just 20 PCR primers to create the 96 used in Nextera for instance. Adding another 20 allows 384 indexes, and increasing to 80 primers (32x i5 & 48x i7) gets you to 1536.

Comment

Originally posted by thomasblomquist View Post
              Oh, and yes, you need custom bioinformatics/software pipeline to parse out the custom indexes for each sample. The 96 limit is probably Illumina's limit based on their own reagent kits.

-Tom
              jMHC has a GUI and does this well.

Works much faster on the mac, and with large data sets you will need to open the java script from the terminal, allocating more RAM

Comment

Hi,
                I have 96 samples and i want to design barcodes. How can't do it?
                Thax for your help

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses