No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mgogol
    replied
    I think it was kind of shady of illumina to do that. They should have been really clear when they announced it, at least.

Leave a comment:

• GW_OK
    replied
    As a human-centric core with users increasingly interested in WGS, I could certainly use the upgrade. I'm afraid this also means that the pre-2013 machines will not be able to run the PE250's whenever they come out, something my microbiome/metagenomics keep asking me about so they can start really multiplexing samples.

I do agree that leasing is now most likely going to be the way to procure an instrument, and I am glad that my core only has another year or so left on our second machine.

Leave a comment:

• GenoMax
    replied
    Everyone with a HiSeq is not going to need (even though they may want) 1Tb - 6 day runs. Realistically this decision (if true) will affect a small subset of customer sites/machines.

Optics/electronics/processing power needed to support the new chemistry perhaps makes it less sensible to upgrade (rebuild) a machine in place. This would require a few days of a service engineer's time per machine. These considerations must negatively impact the "upgrade price" Illumina would have to charge for the upgrade.

Before long leasing a sequencer may start making more sense than buying one.

Leave a comment:

• GW_OK
    started a topic 1 Tbp runs, but probably not on *your* Hiseq

1 Tbp runs, but probably not on *your* Hiseq

Do you own or have access to a Hiseq?

Are you pumped about 6-day, 1Tbp runs?

Was your machine purchased in 2013?

If you answered "no" to that last question you can forget about the latest run chemistry, apparently. In learning more about the latest and greatest run specs I've become a bit dismayed on hearing that Hiseq's are going to need the 'v3' camera to be compatible, and those are only on machines with S/N 14xx. Has anyone else heard differently? Is this a smart thing for Illumina to do, given the extremely large install base already out there?

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
    by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
    04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
  • seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
0 responses