Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suitable method for genome assembly using short reads

Which illumina sequencing platform is more suitable for de novo genome assembly for genome size of 500Mb.?
    Illumina HiSeq or Novaseq6000?

Hey,

I have a personal preference towards the NovaSeq because I used to work on one and heard coworkers who have previously used the HiSeq complain about some issues they've experienced. I don't know that this is true, but the NovaSeq has different flow cell options which allow you to obtain as many reads as you like.

The only negative aspect about the NovaSeq that I'm aware of, is that people have issues sequencing G heavy regions since it is a 2-channel sequencer.

Do you have access to your own machines or were you going to have the samples sent off somewhere? Also, do you know the number of reads and coverage you need for your experiment?

Here's a paper where they compared data from several sequencers that may also be useful to you.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses