Originally posted by ssully
View Post
Unconfigured Ad
Collapse
X
-
You need to split them before, yes. Make sure you specified the correct library type (mate pairs) and the correct orientation (whatever you have, e.g. even ff is supported). See http://spades.bioinf.spbau.ru/releas...al.html#sec3.2 for more information
-
I have removed the linkers and split the 454 mate pair reads with sff_extract; I have them now as (after deinterlacing) a pair of fastq files (454_1.fastq and 454_2.fastq) containing reads _1 and _2 only, respectively. In each case Read_1 represents the pre-linker and Read_2 represents the post-linker part of the original read, both in forward orientation:
schematic of original read
But I'm a bit confused as to what mp parameters to feed to SPAdes for 454 mate pair reads,Code:================================^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^======================= 454_1---> linker 454_2--->
because when assembled, they should be ordered _2 --> _1 (again both in forward i.e., 5'--3' orientation), with the library insert size distance between them
schematic of assembled reads
How to make sure SPAdes assembles these pairs in correct order and orientation?Code:454_2 454_1 --------> (~3kb) --------> ==================================================================
would a YAML readset section like this work?
{
orientation: "ff",
type: "mate-pairs",
right reads: [
"/FULL_PATH_TO_DATASET/454_1.fastq"
],
left reads: [
"/FULL_PATH_TO_DATASET/454_2.fastq"
]
},
or should it be
{
orientation: "ff",
type: "mate-pairs",
right reads: [
"/FULL_PATH_TO_DATASET/454_2.fastq"
],
left reads: [
"/FULL_PATH_TO_DATASET/454_1.fastq"
]
},
?
(I adapted these views from http://seqanswers.com/forums/showpos...85&postcount=2 )Last edited by ssully; 12-02-2014, 07:10 PM.
Comment
-
The second variant looks correct to me, basically you need to specify the first and the second read of a fragment and how they were read (in which direction).Originally posted by ssully View PostI have removed the linkers and split the 454 mate pair reads with sff_extract; I have them now as (after deinterlacing) a pair of fastq files (454_1.fastq and 454_2.fastq) containing reads _1 and _2 only, respectively. In each case Read_1 represents the pre-linker and Read_2 represents the post-linker part of the original read, both in forward orientation:
schematic of original read
But I'm a bit confused as to what mp parameters to feed to SPAdes for 454 mate pair reads,Code:================================^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^======================= 454_1---> linker 454_2--->
because when assembled, they should be ordered _2 --> _1 (again both in forward i.e., 5'--3' orientation), with the library insert size distance between them
schematic of assembled reads
How to make sure SPAdes assembles these pairs in correct order and orientation?Code:454_2 454_1 --------> (~3kb) --------> ==================================================================
would a YAML readset section like this work?
{
orientation: "ff",
type: "mate-pairs",
right reads: [
"/FULL_PATH_TO_DATASET/454_1.fastq"
],
left reads: [
"/FULL_PATH_TO_DATASET/454_2.fastq"
]
},
or should it be
{
orientation: "ff",
type: "mate-pairs",
right reads: [
"/FULL_PATH_TO_DATASET/454_2.fastq"
],
left reads: [
"/FULL_PATH_TO_DATASET/454_1.fastq"
]
},
?
(I adapted these views from http://seqanswers.com/forums/showpos...85&postcount=2 )
Anyway, you can simply feed the data to SPAdes and check whether it inferred the insert size distribution properly.
Comment
-
I don't know; the second variant seems to be saying to me , 'the reads from the right side of the library read (post-linker, 454_2.fastq) belong at the right end of the genome fragment' -- which would be incorrect.
For me it really comes down to what 'right reads' and 'left reads' means in the YAML specification:
e.g. does 'right reads' refer to a read's position in the 454 mate pair library read (i.e., right side/post-linker in the 454 read, but maps to the left end of the genomic fragment) or with respect to the genome (i.e., maps to the right end of the genomic fragment...but comes from the left side/pre-linker half of the 454 read)
(it's also unusual to me that 'right read' is specified before 'left read' in the YAML, for both paired end and mate pair types, given that sequences are typically read by humans from left to right, 5' to 3'... is there a particular reason for that?)
But anyway I can try inputting it both ways, in two runs, and see which one assembles the 454 mate pairs correctly.Last edited by ssully; 12-03-2014, 01:12 PM.
Comment
-
I worked out the correct orientation and order of 454 paired reads input for SPAdes, and have corrected the reads with --iontorrent option (ionhammer). Btu now I have questions regarding ionhammer error correction -- does it pay any attention to fastq quality scores?
here is an original paired-end sff read (converted to fastq -- note 'sanger style' quality scores, and lower case for low-quality bases). I have underlined that the part that constitutes the 'post linker' read.
sff to fastq
@GIDY76W02G4JWL
here is the postlinker read, after sffToCA (a tool from Celera Assembler) has removed the linker from the original sff read and split it into two reads (parameters were set to perform NO quality trimming, since I expected ionhammer to do that -- so all the 'low quality' bases remain at the end of the read, but are converted to upper case. Fastq scores remain the same):Code:tcagTTATTGATCAGTATTAGAATGAGGCCTATTAATAGCCAATTATCACATTTTGGATCTATTTTGTATCGATGATATCATTTATCGATAATCATCATAGTTATTTCGTAATAACTTCGTATAGCATACATTATACGAAGTTATACGA[U]TTATTGCTATAAATAAACGTACTTCTGGAGTAGAATTGAAGTGAGATAGAATTTCTGGTTTTAAGctgagactgccaaggcacacaggggatagg[/U]n + III;;;;BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII;:8599>>@:9////92EBEDDDGIIIIIIFEC?:??IIHHHEIIIIIIIIIICCECC:??C==?EEEIEGHHIIIIIIIIGHFHGIIIIC?==CIIIIEEAAAEE>8333C444IIICIIIIGGGGGIIIGGGGIIIIIIIIIIIIA>999=499----./25:===;=@A>>::::EEIIII@@BAGGGII!
sffToCA
Code:@GIDY76W02G4JWLb clr=0,95 clv=1,0 max=1,0 tnt=1,0 rnd=t TTATTGCTATAAATAAACGTACTTCTGGAGTAGAATTGAAGTGAGATAGAATTTCTGGTTTTAAGCTGAGACTGCCAAGGCACACAGGGGATAGG + IEEAAAEE>8333C444IIICIIIIGGGGGIIIGGGGIIIIIIIIIIIIA>999=499----./25:===;=@A>>::::EEIIII@@BAGGGII
here was my spades command
Code:spades.py --only-error-correction --iontorrent --dataset 454_4.yaml -t 8 --sc -k 21,33,55 --disable-gzip-output -o sff2ca_spades_corrected
and here is the output of ionhammer for the above read
The only difference is the removal of a single G base (at the underlined position) in the middle of the read (not even as part of a homopolymer)...all of the low-quality (originally lower case) bases remain.Code:>GIDY76W02G4JWLb TTATTGCTATAAATAAACGTACTTCTGGAGTAGAATTGAAGTGAGATAGAATTTCT[U]G[/U]TTTTAAGCTGAGACTGCCAAGGCACACAGGGGATAGG
So, I'm not clear on what ionhammer should be doing; it appears I need to quality-trim my 454 reads *before* running them through ionhammer...*OR* I need to preserve the lower-case base formatting in the input file?Last edited by ssully; 12-06-2014, 07:50 AM.
Comment
-
This is more or less expected. IonHammer is conservative - when it fails to correct something it preserves the original read and postpones the final decision to assembler. In general we suggest not to trim reads when the coverage is low.Originally posted by ssully View PostSo, I'm not clear on what ionhammer should be doing; it appears I need to quality-trim my 454 reads *before* running them through ionhammer...*OR* I need to preserve the lower-case base formatting in the input file?
Comment
Latest Articles
Collapse
-
by SEQadmin2
Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.
We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing...-
Channel: Articles
-
ad_right_rmr
Collapse
News
Collapse
| Topics | Statistics | Last Post | ||
|---|---|---|---|---|
|
Started by SEQadmin2, Yesterday, 11:14 AM
|
0 responses
8 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
Yesterday, 11:14 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
|
0 responses
44 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
0 responses
54 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
0 responses
44 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
Comment