No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HiSeq2000

Hello everybody,

since the new HiSeq2000 device is out now i was wondering whether anyone does already have some first hand experience and could comment on the performance/reliability of the machine. Could it recommendable to wait before investing into sequencing with this platform?

Thanks in advance!

I don't have first experience... Maybe someone at the Broad institute will soon be able to comment, since they just purchased 51!

Comment

We have our first HiSeq here at IGS but it will take 2-3 weeks before we will have production data. For now there will be some testing runs.

What I do know is, the final output is a BCL file from two flow cells, binary equivalent of qseq which can be converted back to qseq using a Illumina supplied converter. The downstream analysis from that point is same as of GA.

Hope this helps!
      -Abhi

Comment

Originally posted by apratap View Post
        We have our first HiSeq here at IGS but it will take 2-3 weeks before we will have production data. For now there will be some testing runs.

What I do know is, the final output is a BCL file from two flow cells, binary equivalent of qseq which can be converted back to qseq using a Illumina supplied converter. The downstream analysis from that point is same as of GA.

Hope this helps!
        -Abhi
        Abhi, Could you comment on whether the HiSeq uses the same amount of reagents per run as a GAIIx or 2x as much since it is running 2 flow cells in parallel?

Comment

I think it uses the same amount, just that one can load much more at the beginning, so it does not need to be topped off in between the run
          --
          bioinfosm

Comment

Originally posted by bioinfosm View Post
            I think it uses the same amount, just that one can load much more at the beginning, so it does not need to be topped off in between the run
            Thanks for your reply, but I am a bit confused- what do you mean by topped off in between runs? Also, do you mean that each individual flow cell on the HiSeq uses the same amount of reagents as a single flow cell on the GAIIx, or that both together use the same amount as a single GAIIx flow cell (so effectively half the amount of reagents per flow cell)?

Comment

right now the GAII's are running more often than the HiSeq. $$$ and we are having what looks like a weird reagent issue. Not to say it is reagent based yet, but straaange.

Comment

The GAIIx and HiSeq use essentially the same amount of reagent per flowcell. However the HiSeq can run two flowcells at once and each flowcell generates 3-5x as much data.

The word 'run' does not actually tell you very much about what someone is doing. It has always been a bit of an issue when comparing SOLiD to GA as one had two slide where the other used one flowcell.

I find it much easier to describe the run in terms of it being single or paried end and by stipulating how many bases are being sequenced per read; e.g. SE36, PE72, etc. This would always refer to a single slide/flowcell.

Comment

Originally posted by greigite View Post
                  Thanks for your reply, but I am a bit confused- what do you mean by topped off in between runs? Also, do you mean that each individual flow cell on the HiSeq uses the same amount of reagents as a single flow cell on the GAIIx, or that both together use the same amount as a single GAIIx flow cell (so effectively half the amount of reagents per flow cell)?
                  Sorry I did not check back earlier.

James might have already answered you. I will be at a webinar on hiSEQ next week and will add any updates here
                  --
                  bioinfosm

Comment

Can anybody with a HiSeq comment on their computational resources downstream?

I see the site prep guide, do you have systems like this?

Comment

Hi mgogol

As far as the propriety pipeline of Illumina are concerned they remain to be same but in our experience,we have seen significant increase in the processing times as the raw data goes up 4-5x / lane on HiSeq. If you are thinking about buying IT infrastructure I would definitely consider having 1-2 machines with quad cores with > 64GB Ram if possible. Although 32 gb is feasible but as the cluster density on the HiSeq flowcell goes up chances are you will need more ram.

Hope this helps,
                      -Abhi

Comment

Thanks, that's helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by apratap View Post
                          Hi mgogol

As far as the propriety pipeline of Illumina are concerned they remain to be same but in our experience,we have seen significant increase in the processing times as the raw data goes up 4-5x / lane on HiSeq. If you are thinking about buying IT infrastructure I would definitely consider having 1-2 machines with quad cores with > 64GB Ram if possible. Although 32 gb is feasible but as the cluster density on the HiSeq flowcell goes up chances are you will need more ram.

Hope this helps,
                          -Abhi
                          We've seen a similarly huge increase in the processing times. My personal experience: aligning ~180-200 million 2x100PE whole-genome low coverage data reads from single lanes with BWA from *_sequence.txt files gives align (bwa aln and sampe) times in the 16-20 hour range per lane on 8 processors, not including downstream analysis.

Comment

200 million reads per lane? Is that the standard or are you pushing the limit? What is the standard # of reads/lane for a HiSeq?
                            Is the RTA of the HiSeq the same as GAII? In a GAII run the low-quality ends of reads are flagged with a quality score of 2 (ASCII B). Does the HiSeq RTA also output reads in this manner? What % of reads in the first and second run of a pair are low quality (QV=2)?
                            Is it comparable to GAII (<15% in first run, up to 40% in second run).

Comment

We "routinely" generate 70.000.000 passed filter sequences per lane on our HiSeq2000.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses