Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost Illuminia GIIx sequencing per plate?

Hi everybody,

I have just read this very interesting article in PNAS (http://www.pnas.org/content/early/20...80107.abstract) on the use of Illumina sequencing for determining microbial diversity at unprecedented depth. Obviously sequence output was not the limiting factor in this study but rather the computational analyses that are required to make sense of the sequence data.
    My question concerns the costs of sequencing for this paper. It is described as "this study presents the results of sequencing barcoded PCR amplicons from environmental (n = 25) and mock community (n = 3) samples using one full plate (seven lanes plus phiX control lane) on the Illumina GAIIx platform."
    So can anybody give an estimate of how much this study would currently cost to perform. Or to put it in another way: how much does it cost to sequence ~25 samples on a plate on an Illumina GAIIx sequencer?

I am trying to convince the head of my department to invest in metagenomics and I am quite convinced that it is smarter to invest in people (particularly those with BioIT expertise which can handle the data-output) rather than buying an expensive sequencer (because the sequencing can just as well be done by commercial service providers or dedicated sequencing facilities at academic centers).

Hi, try to drop a(n email) line to TGAC - if I am right they are doing microbial metagenomics and probably can give an estimate on the price as they are doing sequencing as well:

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Latest Developments in Precision Medicine
      by seqadmin

Technological advances have led to drastic improvements in the field of precision medicine, enabling more personalized approaches to treatment. This article explores four leading groups that are overcoming many of the challenges of genomic profiling and precision medicine through their innovative platforms and technologies.

Somatic Genomics
      “We have such a tremendous amount of genetic diversity that exists within each of us, and not just between us as individuals,”...
      05-24-2024, 01:16 PM
    • seqadmin
      Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
      by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
      05-06-2024, 07:48 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Today, 01:32 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 05-24-2024, 07:15 AM
    0 responses