Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cDNA circularization versus UDG based strand specific RNA-seq construction

I need to construct strand-specific RNA-seq libraries for a class of non-coding RNAs in my system and I am considering 2 alternative library construction methods for producing strand-specific reads on Illumina.
    First method is based on using dUTP in second strand cDNA synthesis followed by UDGase mediated cleavage of that strand as per these
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19620212 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23273270

The other method involves circularization of cDNA using circligase by Ingolia et al.
    Techniques for systematically monitoring protein translation have lagged far behind methods for measuring messenger RNA (mRNA) levels. Here, we present a ribosome-profiling strategy that is based on the deep sequencing of ribosome-protected mRNA fragments and enables genome-wide investigation of tra …

Does anyone have any experience with either of these methods? Can someone comment as to which one might be better and why?

thanks

Just trying to bump this thread up. Anyone with experience in making strand-specific RNAseq libraries using the cDNA circularization method or 2nd strand synthesis with dUTP incorporation.

Thanks!

Comment

Is there any reason you are not trying to use one of commercially available strand specific RNAseq kits. Some have implemented a more efficient version of #1.

Comment

I am trying to prepare GRO-seq libraries and not mRNA-seq. Hence, I need to use a home-brew method versus a commercial kit.

Comment

Aren't most of the GRO-seq specific protocol bits around the isolation of the RNA, rather than library prep itself?

That being said, between those two choices, without commenting on actual library quality, dUTP based methods are currently the most popular, being implemented in most commercial kits. There's likely to have been more optimization and resources for help around dUTP.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
            I am trying to prepare GRO-seq libraries and not mRNA-seq. Hence, I need to use a home-brew method versus a commercial kit.
            Comercial kits are not specificly for mRNA. The input can be any RNA including total, rRNA depleted, mRNA, etc. They use random primers for cDNA and dUTP for second strand synthesis. Insted of using UDGase, they use a polymerase that stalls at UTP positions, therefore only 1st strand is used for sequencing library.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
              by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
              04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
            • seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses