Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on PCR Workstation - laminar flow or not?

We are starting up a project and plan to use MiSeq for analysis later. I am purchasing some new equipment and can't find any specifics on why it might be better to get a PCR workstation with laminar flow rather than dead air!! We have a regular fume hood in the lab already. I just want to decrease possible contamination for PCR prep and planned to get a UV PCR workstation, not realizing this was a possible issue. In the past I have only done projects with low risk of contamination, but now will be using universal primers.

Please help me with pros and cons of each type if you have done these type of projects before.

For typical library preps, laminar flow is not necessary. A decontaminated, dedicated work bench and instrument, with clean reagents/consumables and good technique (most important!), is sufficient.

For single-cell/extremely-low-input samples, follow the recommended guidelines for your chosen method of library prep.

Comment

Hi Urchin, In my experience of 'minimising' contamination/artefacts the workflow (as opposed to the equipment) is the thing to get right - The best advice I could give you here is to:
      1) Separate out pre-and post PCR
      2) Be careful about input DNA copy-number you seed the reaction with
      3) Be careful about the index tag combinations you use (or re-use)
      We published a paper recently on amplicon sequencing workflow - might be of use;
      Amplicon sequencing has been the method of choice in many high-throughput DNA sequencing (HTS) applications. To date there has been a heavy focus on the means by which to analyse the burgeoning amount of data afforded by HTS. In contrast, there has been a distinct lack of attention paid to considerations surrounding the importance of sample preparation and the fidelity of library generation. No amount of high-end bioinformatics can compensate for poorly prepared samples and it is therefore imperative that careful attention is given to sample preparation and library generation within workflows, especially those involving multiple PCR steps. This paper redresses this imbalance by focusing on aspects pertaining to the benchtop within typical amplicon workflows: sample screening, the target region, and library generation. Empirical data is provided to illustrate the scope of the problem. Lastly, the impact of various data analysis parameters is also investigated in the context of how the data was initially generated. It is hoped this paper may serve to highlight the importance of pre-analysis workflows in achieving meaningful, future-proof data that can be analysed appropriately. As amplicon sequencing gains traction in a variety of diagnostic applications from forensics to environmental DNA (eDNA) it is paramount workflows and analytics are both fit for purpose.

good luck with your research.

Comment

Thanks, I'll get the paper ASAP. We really do want to reduce our possible problems from the outset. I already know things will go wrong, it's inevitable, but still...

Comment

Hi Urchin - drop me an email if you want to discuss any of this. Contamination in NGS workflows (especially involving amplicons) is, as you point out, something you want to get right from the outset. The work we have done on ancient DNA, forensic and biosecurity means that we have given this topic much thought! Cheers.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
            04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
          0 responses