Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can somebody explain the purpose of Y adapters for paired end preps to me?

Hey all,

I've tried searching and I just can't figure this out. I'm sure there's a simple explanation that is just eluding me. Why are Y adapters used? If it's Y primers and not Y adapters then I still don't understand, so either way a brief explanation would be wonderful.

Y adapters allow the addition of different, noncomplementary sequences to the 5' and 3' ends of the library. The arms of the Y are the unique sequences; the stem, which ligates to the insert, is double-stranded (i.e., complementary) DNA.

Comment

Originally posted by HESmith View Post
      Y adapters allow the addition of different, noncomplementary sequences to the 5' and 3' ends of the library. The arms of the Y are the unique sequences; the stem, which ligates to the insert, is double-stranded (i.e., complementary) DNA.
      Right, so why do we want/need the arms of the Y adapters to be noncomplementary? Or another way of asking, if the adapters were just linear (complementary), why would that not work?

Comment

There is a great diagram of this to be found in the sticky at the top of the forum, which shows you at the base level what happens to each fragment.

Comment

Originally posted by ECO View Post
          There is a great diagram of this to be found in the sticky at the top of the forum, which shows you at the base level what happens to each fragment.
          I looked through that and I see what's going on, but I still don't understand why there has to be a Y adapter. I possibly looked at the wrong thing; it was the attachment in the second post of the middle sticky above. I follow what gets added with each step, but I'm missing the reasoning behind needing a Y adapter. Please excuse my ignorance.

Comment

Ok...maybe this will make it more clear.

The goal is obviously the highest efficiency of putting two DIFFERENT adapters on either end of every piece of DNA in the library. This is to enable PCR/clustering/emulsions/etc.

If you just took two totally different standard double stranded adapters (say A and B), and threw them into a ligation, you'd get inserts bounded by A-A, B-B, and only 50% with A-B (or B-A). The A-A and B-B fragments won't amplify in PCR for hopefully obvious reasons. Draw this out if it's not clear. Last I checked this is how ABI/LIFE/Roche do their adapters... just a mix of adapters and reliance on the amplification to pull out the correctly ligated events.

What the Y-adapter enables is the best of both worlds; the use of a single adapter which puts a different sequence on either end of each insert. It's because of this non-complementarity (the Y) that every ligation event results in asymmetric sequence being added to each end.

The most helpful part of that diagram (second post in this thread: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1169 ) is what happens to both strands of the initial library molecule upon PCR amplification.

Hope that helps...

Comment

ECO, that clears it up perfectly for me. Thanks a lot!

Comment

Woohoo! Glad I was able to sputter that out in a semi-coherent way...

The final wrinkle, talked about at the bottom of that thread I linked, is that the PCR adds additional adapter sequence which is used to cluster.

So...when people want to avoid PCR you need to use modified adapters that already contain that longer tail.

Comment

ECO, I had already figured that last part out, haha. But thanks again. Coming from a chemistry background (mainly physical chemistry at that) it's been a struggle to wrap my head around all of this genetic stuff. Too much biology. And not knowing all of the components of a system (ie, all of the kits present in this field where the specifics of reagents aren't released by the companies that make them) drives me crazy. I'm progressing though!

Comment

The latest Tru-Seq adapters available from Illumina are full length and allow you to get away with no PCR. They are already modified and have the longer tail Eco mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Heisman View Post
                      Right, so why do we want/need the arms of the Y adapters to be noncomplementary? Or another way of asking, if the adapters were just linear (complementary), why would that not work?
                      After any denaturation step (amplification, flow cell loading, cluster formation), complementary ends of single-stranded DNA would self-anneal to form a loop. Self-annealing, being unimolecular, is an efficient process, and those ends would no longer be substrates for the desired reaction.

Comment

HESmith,

Originally posted by HESmith View Post
                        After any denaturation step (amplification, flow cell loading, cluster formation), complementary ends of single-stranded DNA would self-anneal to form a loop. Self-annealing, being unimolecular, is an efficient process, and those ends would no longer be substrates for the desired reaction.

My thought, actually, is that upon primer annealing, in each cycle the primer in turn would bind to the start AND end of the DNA fragment, and thus not allow synthesis to continue to the end. Therefore, the next primer would not have a template to bind at the start of the fragment...

Y-shaped adapters also allow for paired-end sequencing. Fragments have a unique sequence on either end, which allows for the first "run" to sequence one side of all molecules, then synthesize the reverse and sequence that.

Am I correct?

Carmen
                        Last edited by carmeyeii; 05-16-2013, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Dear members,

Can you explain the differences between SureSlect Xt adaptors and Roche (a or B) adaptors? Which one is truncated? Can I sequence in the same lane libraries with both types of adapters?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                          • seqadmin
                            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                          0 responses