Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compare samples sequenced on Ion Proton and Illumina platform

Is it possible to compare exome data generated on an Ion Proton with exome data generated on an Illumina platform? I have sequenced germline samples on the proton and have sequenced tumour samples using Illumina and I am wondering if it will be at all possible to compare?

It's certainly possible to generate useful data in this case, but there will be a lot more noise than if everything was the same platform. The biggest issue will probably be not the difference in platforms, but the difference in baits/kits; if the tumor sample has 0 coverage for some gene that has 50x coverage in the control, you won't really know if that's because the gene got deleted, or because the capture was ineffective in that area.

I suggest you calculate the cost of person-hours spent analyzing this data versus the cost of rerunning on or the other so that all data is from the same platform. It does not make sense to spend $50k chasing down and validating spurious differences that could be wiped out en masse with $1k of sequencing. The alternate platform's data is not wasted in this case, either, as it can increase confidence in variations found (or not found) in the other platform.

Comment

Yes, that is what I am wondering - would it be much better to sequence both on the same platform?

Comment

Hi rjones89. You could compare the data from 2 platforms, but for the INDELS. The SNP variants called could be compared. Let me know if you need help with this, if you are interested in analysis of only the SNP variants.

We (Genotypic Technology - www.genotypic.co.in) are a Genomics services provider based in India. Write to me at [email protected] with your query and we can discuss more on this. I will work out the best possible price for analysis work.

Thanks.

Comment

Ion Torrent just released the HiQ chemistry for the Ion Torrent. They claim that the indel problem has been resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by rjones89 View Post
            Yes, that is what I am wondering - would it be much better to sequence both on the same platform?
            Yes, it would.

Comment

Hey there...we keep commercial activities in the Vendor Forum and discourage overt commercial posting...please contact me if you want permission to post in the Vendor Forum. Thanks.

Originally posted by kushald View Post
              Hi rjones89. You could compare the data from 2 platforms, but for the INDELS. The SNP variants called could be compared. Let me know if you need help with this, if you are interested in analysis of only the SNP variants.

We (Genotypic Technology - www.genotypic.co.in) are a Genomics services provider based in India. Write to me at [email protected] with your query and we can discuss more on this. I will work out the best possible price for analysis work.

Thanks.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses