Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quiver

I've downloaded this and started using it. I have to say, I am either doing something wrong or it's not nearly as useful as I was hoping. Hopefully I'm doing something wrong here.

This is what I have tried.

Took 4 SMRT cells of long read data. Isolated out reads that are >5000. Imported these >5K reads into SMRT Portal. Ran RS_Mapping_QVs to get the new cmp.h5 file.

Finally, ran Quiver and output the reads as fastq.

Was left with about 12X coverage of my organism of interest. Tried Celera to assemble, and it essentially failed...most of the reads aren't even used.

I've taken the same data, used PacBioToCA to correct with Illumina, and assembled using about the same coverage and got less than 100 contigs...

Ideas?

Quiver is a consensus and variant calling algorithm rather than a direct replacement for pacBioToCA. The main difference between aligning to 5 kb reads and taking consensus vs running pacBioToCA is in the trimming and filtering. Then there's the coverage difference.

There are settings to P_ErrorCorrection that can use single pass reads to do what you're attempting. They're not public yet though you can ask your local FAS.

Even with the right settings, you may have a coverage issue depending on your genome size. How large is your genome?

Quiver is for now best used as post-processing: take your assembled contigs, align all the PacBio data against it using RS_Mapping_QVs, and then run Quiver on it to get a final consensus that can be Q50 with adequate coverage. Quiver adds a good 10-15 phred points to the final assembly accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by moistplus
      What is Q50 ?
      Q50 implies that there is on average 1 error in a 100,000bp stretch when aligning a consensus sequences to a reference.

See the wikipedia entry on phred score here:

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses