Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exome kits designed for long read technology?

Does anyone know if there is an exome capture kit that captures exons, intervening introns and promoter of all genes or under development? If we can then use PacBio to sequence the fragments, we can find trinculeotide repeats, phasing, etc in one go. I think the coverage will probably be around 500Mb for human. Does this kind of kit makes sense with the Sequel machine?

People have been doing this for a while...

Genome scale, probably not - maybe on the Sequel but not on the RSII but for small panels - why not?
    Last edited by Bukowski; 11-04-2015, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Your example is 6k fragment. Anyone did 40k fragment?

It would be nice to have a genome wide product or at least a clincial 3000+ gene version. It will be an exome on steroid!

Comment

Why would you want to do that?

1) A 40kb fragment would have low read quality as it would be a single pass read

2) 6kb fragments overlap quite nicely

Resolving large repeats is still not a solved issue even on the PacBio. And the error profile is still reduced by depth/high pass reads of insert.
        Last edited by Bukowski; 11-04-2015, 01:17 PM.

Comment

I think 20k library is common for bacteria assembly?

The DevNet project on github stores the PacBio DevNet website. - PacificBiosciences/DevNet

If you imply 6k with multiple passes, do you mean CCS reads?

Comment

Originally posted by ymc View Post
            I think 20k library is common for bacteria assembly?

The DevNet project on github stores the PacBio DevNet website. - PacificBiosciences/DevNet

If you imply 6k with multiple passes, do you mean CCS reads?
            PacBio don't use the term CCS anymore and the generation of CCS reads is deprecated in SMRTpipe - so no, I mean Reads of Insert.

If you read the '20kb' library preparation protocol, pay specific attention to the Blue Pippin size selection step. You don't generate a library of 20kb fragments with it

Comment

ymc, do you mean like capturing specific gene regions using using NimbleGen SeqCap EZ?

We at PacBio have used the oncology panel on both gDNA and cDNA. I don't think we have a poster for that yet (or I can't find it off the top of my head right now). But if this is what you are thinking, it does work.

Comment

Originally posted by Magdoll View Post
                ymc, do you mean like capturing specific gene regions using using NimbleGen SeqCap EZ?

We at PacBio have used the oncology panel on both gDNA and cDNA. I don't think we have a poster for that yet (or I can't find it off the top of my head right now). But if this is what you are thinking, it does work.
                Thanks for your input. Of course, custom capture can do what I want. But they are costly and design it for thousands of genes can be PITA. I would like a TruSight One panel or whole exome designed for long reads.

Comprehensive sequencing research panels targeting disease-associated regions of the exome with high analytical sensitivity and specificity.

Comment

Hi ymc,

After a brief conversation with my colleagues it appears that we haven't used the TruSight panel on PacBio. But we also don't see why theoretically (with some minor tweaks) it would not work on PacBio platform.

The NimbleGen panel was originally designed for short reads. We simply used it on PacBio for gDNA capture (fragment to longer pieces) and cDNA capture (using full-length cDNA).

I would imagine PacBio's 6kb capture protocol would be able to work on this.

Best,
                  --Liz

Comment

Originally posted by Magdoll View Post
                    Hi ymc,

After a brief conversation with my colleagues it appears that we haven't used the TruSight panel on PacBio. But we also don't see why theoretically (with some minor tweaks) it would not work on PacBio platform.

The NimbleGen panel was originally designed for short reads. We simply used it on PacBio for gDNA capture (fragment to longer pieces) and cDNA capture (using full-length cDNA).

I would imagine PacBio's 6kb capture protocol would be able to work on this.

Best,
                    --Liz
                    Of course TruSight One can work to a certain extent on PacBio. What I want is to have a TruSight One that captures exon, intron and promoter such that I can find non-coding variants and have phasing across the whole gene. I know custom capture can do this but it will be ideal if there is a well designed panel that can save people hassle and cost.

Comment

Dear all, I am thinking about making a custom panel of 20+ genes and then use PacBio to sequence them. My panel will try to cover each gene from promoter to 3'UTR, so the longer the read the better. Which custome panel kit is the best for this? What are the pros and cons of capture-based method and PCR method?

I found this Nimblegen capture kit poster saying it can generate 6kb fragments that has a few fragments at 17kb

Is there a custom kit that can do 20kb fragment?

Comment

If I use 6kb capture kit, would it waste the potential of the P6C4 chemistry, ie same number of reads but halved the throughput?
                        Last edited by ymc; 11-20-2015, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Dear all, I am thinking about making a custom panel of 20+ genes and then use PacBio to sequence them. My panel will try to cover each gene from promoter to 3'UTR, so the longer the read the better. Which custome panel kit is the best for this? What are the pros and cons of capture-based method and PCR method?
                          Long range PCR would be the easiest and cheapest option for resequencing 20 genes unless following applies:
                          1- The region is divergent among samples preventing unique primer design
                          2- You only have partial sequence and want to capture flanking 3' and 5' region
                          3- No information is available on paralogs or targeting a gene family or genes sharing a domain

Capture would be more expensive because:
                          1- library prep cost
                          2- Custom panel design expenses
                          3- Sequence capture is a long process
                          4- Only a subset of captured fragments would be on target wasting sequencing

Comment

Originally posted by nucacidhunter View Post
                            Long range PCR would be the easiest and cheapest option for resequencing 20 genes unless following applies:
                            1- The region is divergent among samples preventing unique primer design
                            2- You only have partial sequence and want to capture flanking 3' and 5' region
                            3- No information is available on paralogs or targeting a gene family or genes sharing a domain

Capture would be more expensive because:
                            1- library prep cost
                            2- Custom panel design expenses
                            3- Sequence capture is a long process
                            4- Only a subset of captured fragments would be on target wasting sequencing
                            I am going to do human samples, so I suppose I pass the three deal breakers you mentioned.

If I use long range PCR, does that mean I can take advantage P6C4 chemistry's avg 14k reads and some occasional 40k reads?

Comment

I find this long range PCR Qiagen product that says it can amplify up to 40kb

Does that mean if I want to amplify genes longer than 40kb, then I need to use multiple kits for one gene?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                              • seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                              0 responses