Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't yet have first-hand experience with the Illumina workflow. But I would suspect that in cases where you are doing "quad" or "oct" runs on a SOLiD flow cell, bead prep is substantially more work than cluster generation on the Illumina. The process VanessaS describes above would be "x4" for a quad run.

The reagent costs for doing anything other than a full flow cell (E80) run on the EZBead make it not cost-effective compared to the manual method. Or, at least, of questionable cost-effectiveness.

VanessaS, do you do quad runs on your SOLiDs? If so, do you use the EZBead for them as well?
    --
    Phillip

Comment

Oh I know. My Old lab used the Illumina platform. If I had known SOLiD was this Labor intensive, I probably would not have taken this job...

Thanks for all the answers everyone!!

Comment

Originally posted by PersianExcurzion View Post
        Oh I know. My Old lab used the Illumina platform. If I had known SOLiD was this Labor intensive, I probably would not have taken this job...

Thanks for all the answers everyone!!
        Have you run the SOLiD yet? If not, don't be too bummed. I would think there are some advantages over the Illumina work flow. We just haven't done Illumina runs yet...

Comment

Has anyone had problems with the terminal transferase reagents? We have had only 1 successful run with our EZ bead system! No subsequent ones have worked and we do get results with the IKA and our old reagents. We were sent replacement kits twice and we are working with our THIRD lot!

Comment

A little more detail would be helpful. Terminal transferase does not occur on the EZ bead system, you have to do that after bead enrichment is complete. (You probably know that -- but if it escaped your notice, it would definitely cause you problems...)

That said, yes we have had problems. First, if you come in really low on your enrichment percentage -- unlike with the manual method, those beads are junk. I don't know where the cut off is. Maybe 8%? 5%? Do not attempt to use them. Just throw them out and start again.

Also, the problem we have with terminal transferase is that if we start with a lower amount of beads than is expected in the protocol we get serious clumping of our beads. I don't recall this being an issue until recently unless we were really low on the amount of beads being tailed.

--
            Phillip

Comment

No we have been told that we have had THREE bad lots of reagents -- term transf! How often would you expect this to happen?? Has anyone else?
              As we have had only 1 -- the first-- good run on EZ bead, it is hard not to expect that there is something else wrong with the beads.

Comment

What did happen? By which I mean, you are saying you had three runs that were not good. But what was not good about them? What type of libraries were they? If you did WFAs, what were your titration metrics? What were your bead yields after enrichment?

--
                Phillip

Comment

We have done MANY controls and the only beads that stick to the slide are those that are done with the OLD reagents we had back in the freezer. All of the others fall off! The beads are the same beads and emulsions are done the same way. Only term transf from the old reagent box works! I am going to looking to beg some reagents from people -- maybe some I see at the ABRF meeting to get some that work.

Comment

What are your bead yields on the EZ Bead? If they are low, that can explain why the beads don't stick after tailing.

--
                    Phillip

Comment

PS, I go into more detail on this issue here:

--
                      Phillip

Comment

Bead yields are fine. Read your thread. BTW we were told that others are having this problem and sometimes the beads do not fall off until during the run!

Comment

We had our beads fall off on a non-EZBead run. Clogged storage buffer valve was leading to bubbles being pulled into the flowcell (through the FC gasket, it appears).

Still have psychological scars from that one.

We have seen weird tailing results recently, but they tend to suggest too much tailing, rather than too little. Maybe some of the terminal transferase that was supposed to be put in your lot, got put into ours?

--
                          Phillip

Comment

As I said above, I am giving a talk on the SOLiD at a pre-meeting workshop at ABRF on Saturday and will be begging someone to give us some that works.

Comment

But the story is that those terminal transferase batches work fine with manual beads, but not with EZbeads? Sounds like a residual reagent issue from your Enricher, maybe? Have you tried doing an extra (manual) wash on beads you take off the Enricher and see if those will tail?

--
                              Phillip

Comment

No ONLY the OLD reagent from the back of the freezer works! the new reagents do not work anywhere.
                                AND beads that did not work with the NEW reagents, can be MODIFIED with the OLD reagent and then they work!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                                  04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, 04-30-2024, 12:17 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, 04-29-2024, 10:49 AM
                                0 responses