No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QV distribution

hello
    I have an interesting distribution of QV from the whole transcriptome reads from a gastric cancer cell line.
    The librariy was prepared by the multiplex paired-end sequencing kit(16 barcodes). 3F(50bp), 5F(35bp) and barcode(5bp) sequences were obtained with SOLiD 4 system.
    I checked the quality values of the reads by base position, and I observed that the 3F had a weard cyclic fluctuation.
    The QVs of all positions in the 3F reads were very poor except (2, 7, 12, 17, 22, 27...42,47.) positions.
    The 5F and barcodes showed good QVs across all positions, although they had 5-base cyclic fluctuation across a read due to the primer reset.
    I think something wrong happened with 3F sequencing. What could be the reasons on the poor QV in the 3F reads?. Any one can explain the observation? I'll really appreciate any ideas. THANKS.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by eoh001; 05-12-2011, 06:43 PM.

Solid reads using 5-bp long fluorescing thingies. They get attached one at a time until the entire end is full, then they are removed, finishing the cycle. Then offset is changed, and they are placed one-by-one again. So you might read like this:

1, 6, 11, 16 ... 41, 46
    then remove them, and read
    2, 7, 12, 17 ... 42, 47
    etc.
    This is done for 5 cycles so that every unique position is read once.

So, the quality values should be most consistent for every set of positions that is equivalent modulo 5, and should be highest for the first cycle and lowest for the last cycle. In practice I don't really observe that, but I have not looked for it rigorously.

Comment

The QV plots of SOLiD data do have that saw tooth shape for the reasons outlined previously. Normally, you would see a decline of up to 5 points then reset to something slightly lower than the original score. I'm afraid to say that your F3 read looks quite poor.

However, your F5 reads looks good. Is this with the new chemistry as it is much better than anything I've see with the original PE kits?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:06 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-30-2024, 12:17 PM
      0 responses