Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Volklor View Post
    I just signed up here and tried to ask a question, but there is no 'submit' button. There is a login/register button, but when I click that it seems to simply refresh the page. I think I need to reply to another thread in order to be able to ask a new question at all here. Is this true?
    I don't think so, the system is in bootstrap mode which has very few restrictions on reputation requirements. You might have to refresh the page after logging in, as what I see when logged in is below:

Comment

i am a newer, and don't know how to post the community.

Comment

stackexchange good, OpenID sucks, forum has it's uses too

I really like the stackexchange-like format and believe it's an advancement over the more "traditional" forum format, because it's no-nonsense, quick, no introductory blabla and so on.

However both formats have their uses, a forum is better for questions which might lead to longer answers.

The stackexchange-like format is better for questions which can be answered unambiguously and which are unlikely to lead to discussion.

There is one thing I absolutely hate about the stackexchange-based sites in general, though, and that is log in via OpenID! For example if you have several gmail-addresses which link to same gmail-account (yes, such things exist, for example I have one googlemail address and one gmail address but it's actually the same account), OpenID can be hell. Sure, one could make one more account for example with Yahoo just to make one more OpenID account, but then again one could make a new account right away at the site where one wants to log in in the first place. I experienced lots of issues with OpenID log in in different contexts.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I agree almost completely...I think the current format encourages a bit more back and forth rather than the rearranging of comments/answers that happens on SE-type sites.

I also agree about OpenID...one way of achieving single sign on for both systems would be to add OpenID functionality to the forums...and there isn't really a clean solution out there...and I haven't spent the time to find a coder who 1.) can do the job, and 2.) can do it securely so we're all not passing around our credentials insecurely.

Thanks again.

-=E

Originally posted by Azazel View Post
          I really like the stackexchange-like format and believe it's an advancement over the more "traditional" forum format, because it's no-nonsense, quick, no introductory blabla and so on.

However both formats have their uses, a forum is better for questions which might lead to longer answers.

The stackexchange-like format is better for questions which can be answered unambiguously and which are unlikely to lead to discussion.

There is one thing I absolutely hate about the stackexchange-based sites in general, though, and that is log in via OpenID! For example if you have several gmail-addresses which link to same gmail-account (yes, such things exist, for example I have one googlemail address and one gmail address but it's actually the same account), OpenID can be hell. Sure, one could make one more account for example with Yahoo just to make one more OpenID account, but then again one could make a new account right away at the site where one wants to log in in the first place. I experienced lots of issues with OpenID log in in different contexts.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses