Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Kasycas
    Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 22

    #1

    Coverage required for SNP detection?

    Hi all,

    I am sequencing bacterial genomes, certain genomic strains of which have been published but not the exact strains I'll be trying to detect SNPs for.

    First off, as my title asks, can anyone with experience (or opinions) of SNP detection tell me what coverage you need to reliably detect SNPs??

    I am also looking at the best possible technology for the sequencing. 454 is out because of homopolymers. I have experience analysing Illumina data so I was thinking of going with paired end 100bps, however one of the sequencing companies suggested SOLiD. I've never used SOLiD data before and hence, I'm reluctant but if it's good for the purpose then I should just bite the bullet...

    Any recommendations?

    Thanks!
  • NextGenSeq
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 482

    #2
    Most people aim for at least 20X coverage for SNP and indel detection.

    Comment

    • xgenseq
      Junior Member
      • Feb 2011
      • 3

      #3
      -- Minimum 20X coverage
      -- when predicting putative SNP use minimum 10 reads with occurrence of each variant 4x, give reasonably good and nearly accurate SNP.

      Comment

      • Chipper
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2008
        • 323

        #4
        20x is for diploid genomes. But I guess for bacterial genomes it is difficult to get less than 20x coverage anyway even if you multiplex samples (at least for SOLiD and HiSeq).

        Comment

        Latest Articles

        Collapse

        • SEQadmin2
          New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
          by SEQadmin2


          Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

          We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
          ...
          Today, 10:25 AM
        • SEQadmin2
          How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
          by SEQadmin2




          The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

          This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
          09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

        ad_right_rmr

        Collapse

        News

        Collapse

        Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
        0 responses
        27 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
        0 responses
        24 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
        1 response
        45 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
        1 response
        55 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Working...