Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to define a expressed gene based on RNA-seq data

Recently,I have been working with RNA-seq data,and one problem I met is how to define a expressed gene.I use RPKM to nomalize the expression level,but the cutoff value to define a expressed gene is a problem.Can somebody give me any suggestions?I have read some papers,some of them said 1 (RPKM) would be fine,but according your experiences,how to do that?

I posted this same question and nobody replied.

Comment

Its a question I have asked as well many times and searched extensively for. First, if you have reads mapping uniquely to a gene, then I don't think you can say that its not expressed, only that its expressed at very low levels. Any cutoff it seems to me, will most likely be an arbitrary one, not based on actual biological meaning.

Comment

One way to derive a threshold value is to follow the procedure in this paper:

Author Summary A variety of genes are active within the nuclei of our cells. Some are needed for the day-to-day maintenance of cell functions, while others have roles that are more specific to certain tissues or particular cell types; for example, only the pancreas produces insulin. As a result, every tissue has its own profile of gene activity. Since active genes produce RNA, tissue differences in gene activity can be probed by characterizing the RNA they contain. Essentially the entire set of RNAs or ‘transcriptome’ has been sequenced from various tissues, and we used these data to compare the degree of specialization of different tissues and to investigate the set of ‘core’ genes active in every tissue. A central observation was that there are an abundance of such core genes, and that these genes account for the majority of the transcriptome in each tissue. These findings will aid in the understanding of what makes tissues, and cell types, different from each other and what each requires to function.

Comment

I fully agree with chadn737.

The only sensible defintion of "expressed" I can see is that transcripts of the gene have been produced. And this is definitely the case already when you see a single read (unless the read could have been from another locus).

With microarrays, people use the term "expressed" to denote "present above background". This makes sense only if one refrains from calling genes with flourescense at background level "not expressed", because there is no way to say whether a gene is really fully switched off or simply so weakly expressed that its signal cannot be seen above the background autoflourescence. Somehow, this did not keep people from assuming that any gene they cannot see on their array is "switched off". (I had endless discussions with wet-lab collaborators who insisted that we give a percentage of non-expressed genes "because everybody does so".)

Now, with high-coverage RNA-Seq, it turns out that genes are hardly ever perfectly silent -- although I wonder if this really that surprising. (If this very low transcription turned out to be functional rather than just leakage, that would be surprising, I suppose.)

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Anders View Post
            I fully agree with chadn737.

The only sensible defintion of "expressed" I can see is that transcripts of the gene have been produced. And this is definitely the case already when you see a single read (unless the read could have been from another locus).

With microarrays, people use the term "expressed" to denote "present above background". This makes sense only if one refrains from calling genes with flourescense at background level "not expressed", because there is no way to say whether a gene is really fully switched off or simply so weakly expressed that its signal cannot be seen above the background autoflourescence. Somehow, this did not keep people from assuming that any gene they cannot see on their array is "switched off". (I had endless discussions with wet-lab collaborators who insisted that we give a percentage of non-expressed genes "because everybody does so".)

Now, with high-coverage RNA-Seq, it turns out that genes are hardly ever perfectly silent -- although I wonder if this really that surprising. (If this very low transcription turned out to be functional rather than just leakage, that would be surprising, I suppose.)
            The idea of leaky transcription is one that really needs to be addressed. Particularly when some studies have shown that the majority of transcriptional events do not even make full-length mRNAs:

In vivo dynamics of RNA polymerase II transcription

Then there is the fact that there is often poor correlation between transcriptomics and proteomics data confounds the issue. If the reads are mapping to the gene, I think its real, but at those low levels, I agree that it seems questionable whether or not it is functional.

I like to thing that if a reasonable estimate of leaky transcription could be obtained and applied to transcriptomic data, that you would see increased correlation with proteomic data.

Since I mainly have used RNA-seq for differential expression, my concern at what point are you confident that a gene is differentially expressed. Doesn't the "shot noise" of DESeq address this issue?

Comment

What are the assumptions about the sample source?

If the assumption is that every single cell of multi-cell sample source is frozen in an identical,homogeneous biological state, these results would be biologically relevant. But from my perspective, the possibility of (many) different (multiple) levels of cellular heterogeneity in any sample of cells primarily characterized based on gross histology should be considered. Such that the dynamics of a given cell population can become better identified.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses