Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Jay, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I have certainly thought about PCR duplicates being the source of variation as we did PCR amplify before sequencing. The problem is my data is single end Illumina data and I don't know how to differentiate whether a duplicate read is a result of PCR amplification or a genuine indication of a copy of the mRNA. I think if I had paired end reads, I could use the size distribution of the library to eliminate PCR duplicates. I can perhaps apply the assumption of the library size to single end reads too, but I need to think more about this? If any one has other ideas on how to detect PCR duplicates in RNA seq data, please let me know.

Also, I am probably missing something but since you didn't find anything with free energy, how are you convinced that RNA sec structure interfering with the transcriptase could be a source? Are you thinking the algorithm for detecting free energy is not efficient? if the RNA is sheared before creating the cDNA, I think it should eliminate sec structure formations (though I could be wrong).
    Finally, this is a stupid question, at what step is the GC coverage variation introduced?

Comment

I guess you don't need to answer the last stupid question as I found a paper that explains it really well.

Comment

I didn't get anywhere with free energy, possibly because of the sequence we are using - a 10kb RNA genome - I found tools which would predict its shape, and that would predict free energy for shorter sequences, but I couldn't find a tool quickly online that would give me a free energy estimate per base for such a long sequence, so I gave up after a day or so of looking, as we were not interested in quantification per se. If you have any ideas of a good tool for this I'd definitely be interested to give it a go. You may be right about shearing controlling for sec structures, I will talk to our experimentalist about this, as his thought was that secondary structure would be an issue.

Comment

have you tried mfold?

I haven't used it but a colleague says its the one of the best out there.
          EDIT: it takes max 1500 bases, so I guess you'll have to chop you RNA sequence (!)
          Last edited by thinkRNA; 08-11-2010, 09:01 AM.

Comment

There are two papers studying on RNA-seq biases:
            Modeling non-uniformity in short-read rates in RNA-Seq data. Genome Biology.
            Biases in Illumina transcriptome sequencing caused by random hexamer priming. NAR.

They may help you on this topic.
            Xi Wang

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
            0 responses