Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SamCurt
    Member
    • May 2010
    • 40

    #1

    Gene-level Quantification

    Currently I still use htseq-count to perform gene-level quantification (and RSEM for transcript-level by the way), but I found htseq-count being overly cumbersome to use, requiring re-sorting alignments and even the script per se takes extremely long to run.

    Right now I'm considering faster alternatives such as Kallisto or Salmon. So what are your experience
    • using it for gene-level differential expression analyses such as edgeR or deSeq2? I understand these programs generate transcript-level output, but they can easily be aggregated. I also wonder how STAR's gene-count output file (ReadsPerGene.out.tab) compare to these.
    • For Salmon users: I'd still have to generate an alignment anyway for sequence analyses. Have you noticed any difference between quasi-mapping and alignment-based modes?


    Thanks for your input in advance!
  • cmbetts
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2012
    • 120

    #2
    I can't comment on using Kallisto or Salmon, but STAR's gene counts seem to perfectly match the three count modes of htseq-count, so long as you used the same gtf when indexing the genome.

    Comment

    • dpryan
      Devon Ryan
      • Jul 2011
      • 3478

      #3
      FYI, featureCounts is a faster drop-in replacement for htseq-count, so you can also just use that instead.

      The counts from STAR or featureCounts are pretty similar to what you'll get from salmon. Below is a scatter plot that one of our post-docs made a while back. I asked him to look into the genes that were highly discordant between the two, but I don't recall what he found (or if he looked).



      Regarding feeding BAM files into Salmon, this seems to work nicely. Rob has usually suggested that this leads to a bit better results, so if you can spare the memory and a bit of time to run STAR first then that's the way to go.

      BTW, for getting counts for edgeR or DESeq2, have a look at the tximport package in Bioconductor.

      Comment

      • SamCurt
        Member
        • May 2010
        • 40

        #4
        Originally posted by dpryan View Post
        FYI, featureCounts is a faster drop-in replacement for htseq-count, so you can also just use that instead.
        Well, as I mentioned I'd still need to do STAR alignments for variant calling, so if it gives a sufficiently accurate gene count, probably I'd go for it.

        But as transcript-level counting is concerned... It's a different story, as we all know.

        Comment

        • shi
          Wei Shi
          • Feb 2010
          • 236

          #5
          In terms of aligner choice for mapping RNA-seq data, you may take a look at this paper that just came out this week:

          Comment

          Latest Articles

          Collapse

          • SEQadmin2
            New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
            by SEQadmin2


            Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

            We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
            ...
            09-28-2026, 10:25 AM
          • SEQadmin2
            How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
            by SEQadmin2




            The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

            This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
            09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

          ad_right_rmr

          Collapse

          News

          Collapse

          Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by SEQadmin2, Yesterday, 09:51 AM
          0 responses
          11 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
          0 responses
          34 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
          0 responses
          28 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
          1 response
          48 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post pekgio
          by pekgio
           
          Working...