Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gene-level Quantification

Currently I still use htseq-count to perform gene-level quantification (and RSEM for transcript-level by the way), but I found htseq-count being overly cumbersome to use, requiring re-sorting alignments and even the script per se takes extremely long to run.

Right now I'm considering faster alternatives such as Kallisto or Salmon. So what are your experience
    • using it for gene-level differential expression analyses such as edgeR or deSeq2? I understand these programs generate transcript-level output, but they can easily be aggregated. I also wonder how STAR's gene-count output file (ReadsPerGene.out.tab) compare to these.
    • For Salmon users: I'd still have to generate an alignment anyway for sequence analyses. Have you noticed any difference between quasi-mapping and alignment-based modes?

Thanks for your input in advance!

I can't comment on using Kallisto or Salmon, but STAR's gene counts seem to perfectly match the three count modes of htseq-count, so long as you used the same gtf when indexing the genome.

Comment

FYI, featureCounts is a faster drop-in replacement for htseq-count, so you can also just use that instead.

The counts from STAR or featureCounts are pretty similar to what you'll get from salmon. Below is a scatter plot that one of our post-docs made a while back. I asked him to look into the genes that were highly discordant between the two, but I don't recall what he found (or if he looked).

Regarding feeding BAM files into Salmon, this seems to work nicely. Rob has usually suggested that this leads to a bit better results, so if you can spare the memory and a bit of time to run STAR first then that's the way to go.

BTW, for getting counts for edgeR or DESeq2, have a look at the tximport package in Bioconductor.

Comment

Originally posted by dpryan View Post
        FYI, featureCounts is a faster drop-in replacement for htseq-count, so you can also just use that instead.
        Well, as I mentioned I'd still need to do STAR alignments for variant calling, so if it gives a sufficiently accurate gene count, probably I'd go for it.

But as transcript-level counting is concerned... It's a different story, as we all know.

Comment

In terms of aligner choice for mapping RNA-seq data, you may take a look at this paper that just came out this week:

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses