Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • akbowser
    Junior Member
    • Apr 2012
    • 5

    #1

    Low yield with Ampure XP cleanup

    Hi all,
    I am having some issues with my Ampure cleanup step and would love some troubleshooting help.

    I'd say that every time I use the ampure beads (at 1.8 ratio) I lose about 50% of my product, which seems like A LOT. (I've tried my best to optimize the pcr conditions, but I think the biggest problem is that my template DNA is super crappy (literally - it is extracted from feces) and full of inhibitors.)

    I'm already struggling to get enough ng of product made for NGS, so I'm pretty tired of losing it (and this high quality taq is expensive!) The beads expire in 2013. I make new EtOH every time. Might anyone have any idea about what could be going wrong??
  • Rocketknight
    Member
    • Sep 2011
    • 86

    #2
    That's quite a lot of loss for one single-sided Ampure cleanup. Bear in mind, though, that Ampure XP cleanup will eliminate DNA under a certain size, so is it possible that the DNA loss you're measuring is just primers/dNTPs/small fragments being removed from the mix? What method did you use to quantify your DNA pre- and post-cleanup?

    Comment

    • pmiguel
      Senior Member
      • Aug 2008
      • 2328

      #3
      What is your assay method for determining your mass of DNA at each step? Could you give us a particular example? That is pick a typical sample and go through the yield you have at each step. (Make sure to give us total mass recovered at that step, not just the concentration.)

      If you are initially assaying the amount of DNA using UV spectrophotometry, it is likely you are overestimating the amount of DNA you have. Generally >50% (and often >90%) of the absorbance at 260 nm of the typical genomic DNA prep derives from stuff that is not DNA. (RNA, degraded RNA, phenol, etc.)

      --
      Phillip

      Comment

      • kerplunk412
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2012
        • 119

        #4
        The protocol says that overdrying the beads can significantly decrease yield, have you tried using a shorter drying time?

        Comment

        • docbio
          Member
          • Jul 2012
          • 26

          #5
          What about the expiration date? I am generally curious if people have any experience with "expired" Ampure XP beads? I have been inadvertently using some which are just a couple of months out of date and have ordered fresh, but I'm wondering what the real shelf life is, as they seem to still be performing fairly well.

          Comment

          • SarahNGS
            Member
            • Nov 2011
            • 17

            #6
            underdrying beads

            Not getting all of the ethanol off the beads can also significantly reduce yields. make sure that you see small cracks and that the color lightens up. I have not had a problem with overdrying.

            Comment

            Latest Articles

            Collapse

            • SEQadmin2
              New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
              by SEQadmin2


              Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

              We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
              ...
              Today, 10:25 AM
            • SEQadmin2
              How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
              by SEQadmin2




              The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

              This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
              09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

            ad_right_rmr

            Collapse

            News

            Collapse

            Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
            0 responses
            27 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
            0 responses
            24 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
            1 response
            45 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post pekgio
            by pekgio
             
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
            1 response
            55 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post pekgio
            by pekgio
             
            Working...