Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does nuclear total RNA look like?

Has anyone run BioAnalyzer chips on total RNA isolated from nuclei? I am seeing a broad peak at around 5000 bases and nothing that looks like an 18S peak and am not sure what to make of it. (This is from drosophila nuclei, so for cytoplasmic rRNA, most or all of the 28S is cleaved into pieces the same size as the 18S...)

--
    Phillip

What approach did you take to isolate your total RNA? Could the 5kb peak be genomic DNA or did you do a DNase digest? Have you ruled out mtDNA/RNA?

- Genohub

Originally posted by pmiguel View Post
    Has anyone run BioAnalyzer chips on total RNA isolated from nuclei? I am seeing a broad peak at around 5000 bases and nothing that looks like an 18S peak and am not sure what to make of it. (This is from drosophila nuclei, so for cytoplasmic rRNA, most or all of the 28S is cleaved into pieces the same size as the 18S...)

--
    Phillip

Comment

Originally posted by Genohub View Post
      What approach did you take to isolate your total RNA? Could the 5kb peak be genomic DNA or did you do a DNase digest? Have you ruled out mtDNA/RNA?

- Genohub
      Not our prep. The customer treated the sample with DNAse, so hopefully no genomic DNA left after that. Unless the DNAse failed to work.

Agilent mentioned that residual RNA Zap could cause this sort of peak on a pico chip.

--
      Phillip

Comment

You can use this primer set (180 bp product) to quickly assess whether its mtDNA:

Forward -AATCCAAGCCTACGTTTTCACA
        Reverse -AGTATGAGGAGCGTTATGGAGT

I've never heard about residual RNA Zap causing that to the trace, interesting. Can you upload the bioanalyzer image?

- Genohub

Comment

Originally posted by Genohub View Post
          You can use this primer set (180 bp product) to quickly assess whether its mtDNA:

Forward -AATCCAAGCCTACGTTTTCACA
          Reverse -AGTATGAGGAGCGTTATGGAGT

I've never heard about residual RNA Zap causing that to the trace, interesting. Can you upload the bioanalyzer image?

- Genohub
          Sure:

The pico chip says the sample is 713 pg/ul. Sample was diluted 1:10 prior to loading. So about 7 ng/ul. Probably should just run it on a nano chip. They are less prone to artifacts.

Comment

I agree, they certainly don't look like typical discrete 18S or 28S peaks. It doesn't look like electrode cartridge contamination or bubbling either. Typically peaks like this are genomic DNA. I would take a small amount and re-digest with DNAse to verify.

Yes, the nano chip tends to have fewer artifacts in my experience too.

- Genohub

Comment

What does nuclear total RNA look like?

Should I see the 18s and 28s peak when I running RNA BioAnalyser chips for Nuclei RNA? I don't see any peak in my run. Is that mean my nuclei RNA is degraded?

Comment

Originally posted by firsal View Post
                Should I see the 18s and 28s peak when I running RNA BioAnalyser chips for Nuclei RNA? I don't see any peak in my run. Is that mean my nuclei RNA is degraded?
                Either degraded, or at a concentration below the limits of detection of the chip you ran. Did you run a nano or pico chip?

--
                Phillip

Comment

Either degraded, or at a concentration below the limits of detection of the chip you ran. Did you run a nano or pico chip?

--
                  Phillip
                  I ran it on nano chip. This is RNA isolated from 10,000 nuclei.

Comment

I ran it on nano chip. This is RNA isolated from 10,000 nuclei.
                    Did you see anything in the trace, or was it completely flat?

--
                    Phillip

Comment

Did you see anything in the trace, or was it completely flat?

--
                      Phillip

I enclosed the image of my result in attachment. It shows a wide peak of RNA from 100-2500 nucleotide.
                      Attached Files

Comment

If that is total RNA then it is degraded.
                        Some protocols would still work for RNAseq. Like NuGEN or ribo-depletion.
                        --
                        Phillip

Comment

If that is total RNA then it is degraded.
                          Some protocols would still work for RNAseq. Like NuGEN or ribo-depletion.
                          --
                          Phillip
                          Thanks for your comments. I'll try them. Could be that I've isolated nuclei from frozen cells in -80?

Comment

Thanks for your comments. I'll try them. Could be that I've isolated nuclei from frozen cells in -80?
                            I'm not following what you are asking here.

--
                            Phillip

Comment

I'm not following what you are asking here.

--
                              Phillip
                              I'm sorry if I was not clear. I have frozen cells isolated from adipose tissue that I store them at -80 freezer. I freeze cells without any buffer. I do nuclei isolation from 5 ml of frozen cells by adding same volume of lysis buffer.

I have used this isolated nuclei to get genomic DNA and it worked nicely but I'm not sure if this precedure is good to get good quality of RNA.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                                04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                              0 responses