Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Embunnik
    Junior Member
    • Jan 2012
    • 3

    #16
    I had this question too and I just checked their adapters and primers to figure out the answer. My conclusion is that their design is correct:

    For ChIP-exo, you typically perform single-end sequencing, not paired-end sequencing. The Illumina R1 sequencing primer anneals to the P5 site, which does contain the extra T that is normally used for A-overhang ligation. The P7 site indeed misses a T compared to regular libraries, but this is not an issue as long as you don't intend to perform PE sequencing.

    I just wonder why they decided to perform blunt-end ligations... I would expect ligations with an A-overhang to be more efficient. Does anyone have any experience with this?

    Comment

    • TonyBrooks
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2009
      • 303

      #17
      Originally posted by Embunnik View Post
      I had this question too and I just checked their adapters and primers to figure out the answer. My conclusion is that their design is correct:

      For ChIP-exo, you typically perform single-end sequencing, not paired-end sequencing. The Illumina R1 sequencing primer anneals to the P5 site, which does contain the extra T that is normally used for A-overhang ligation. The P7 site indeed misses a T compared to regular libraries, but this is not an issue as long as you don't intend to perform PE sequencing.

      I just wonder why they decided to perform blunt-end ligations... I would expect ligations with an A-overhang to be more efficient. Does anyone have any experience with this?
      Yeah, I should have said that as it's P7, it's only an issue for PE. However, more and more of our ChIP-Seq is PE now, simply because they go on runs shared with exome samples. Seems a bit weird to remove the option for PE for the sake of one base.

      The protocol I mapped out used a dA-tail, but I suppose because you exonuclease treat, this would chew up any dimer. The main reason you dA-tail and ligate is to reduce possibility of dimer, so blunt end ligation possibly isn't so much of an issue.

      Comment

      • pmad
        Bioinformatics Engineer
        • Jun 2010
        • 14

        #18
        HI albireo,

        The package CexoR is also available from Bioconductor for ChIP-exo peak calling (http://www.bioconductor.org/packages...tml/CexoR.html)

        Pedro M


        Originally posted by albireo View Post
        Hi, yes that is what I meant. I have performed a number of FRiP analyses (similarly to what done in the 2012 ENCODE Genome Research ChIP-seq methods paper) with very disappointing results in one case (~4-5% FRiP). This data is decent in other respects (high correlation of replicates, consensus motif present in 70% of the peaks).



        I have not tested this specific peak caller, but have some experience with other methods, including Genetrack (the original peak caller used in the Pugh publication), Macs 2.0, Apex, Peakzilla and GEM, with wildly varying results. I should also add that my data is Illumina-based and was processed directly by Peconic.
        Pedro Madrigal

        Comment

        • cptzantar
          Junior Member
          • Dec 2013
          • 2

          #19
          FYI: Active Motif has recently released a ChIP-exo kit which contains all reagents necessary to go from DNA fragmentation, through the ChIP-exo reaction, and finishes with the generation of a library.

          Comment

          • jwfoley
            Senior Member
            • Jun 2009
            • 183

            #20
            Indeed, they did a very nice webinar about this new product: http://epigenie.com/webinar-precisio...sing-chip-exo/

            I'm surprised they're using blunt-end ligations.

            Comment

            • Manna
              Member
              • Feb 2013
              • 15

              #21
              Originally posted by cptzantar View Post
              FYI: Active Motif has recently released a ChIP-exo kit which contains all reagents necessary to go from DNA fragmentation, through the ChIP-exo reaction, and finishes with the generation of a library.
              I'm using it, though for a DNA-modification, not a regular ChIP against some DNA-bound protein. Does anyone know the sequences of Active Motif's ridiculously priced indexing primers? Their tech support said they were "slightly modified from Illumina's" and proprietary. In other words, "We will now charge you $45 for $0.45 worth of stuff."

              Comment

              Latest Articles

              Collapse

              • SEQadmin2
                New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                by SEQadmin2


                Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                ...
                Today, 10:25 AM
              • SEQadmin2
                How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                by SEQadmin2




                The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

              ad_right_rmr

              Collapse

              News

              Collapse

              Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
              0 responses
              27 views
              0 reactions
              Last Post SEQadmin2  
              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
              0 responses
              24 views
              0 reactions
              Last Post SEQadmin2  
              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
              1 response
              46 views
              0 reactions
              Last Post pekgio
              by pekgio
               
              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
              1 response
              55 views
              0 reactions
              Last Post pekgio
              by pekgio
               
              Working...