No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sequencing of circulating tumor DNA from plasma

Hi all,

I have a few questions that I am very much hoping you will be able to answer.
    I am about to start a new project that involves next generation sequencing using Hiseq2500.

The project involves sequencing of a few exons of one specific gene. The source of DNA is circulating tumor DNA extracted from plasma of the cancer patients and the healthy controls (30 samples in total).
    The average size of DNA fragments that I and others according to available literature are able to extract do not exceed 160 bp (140-180 bp). Therefore I can't really use Nextera XT kit for my library preparation (it requires the amplicon size of >300 bp for the optimal performance). Please correct me if I am wrong? The total amount of DNA per sample is around 50 ng.

My questions:

1. what approach would you suggest to use to generate my library?
    2. I tried to use DesignStudio to design my primers but when I uploaded a file with my specific sequence (that didn't exceed 300 bp) it failed to design any primers.
    3. Should I just design my own primers, get amplicons and then somehow attach adapters to them? If so could anyone outline some steps for me how I can do it? Sorry I am just getting in the field of NGS and have very limited knowledge!
    Hopefully my questions make some sense!
    Thank you very much!
    Last edited by bluebaby; 06-25-2014, 09:29 PM.

To suggest any approach, the amount of DNA available and number of samples should be specified.

Comment

So far I was able to extract about 50 ng of DNA in total per sample.
      We are planning to sequence 30 samples in total.

Comment

That amount of DNA (sorry I missed it in your first post) is enough to prepare libraries using TruSeq Nano or any other Illumina DNA library kit (some can be done with ultra low amount of DNA, please see this thread for more info: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthr...ight=low+input. You just need to skip DNA shearing (as it is already small fragments) and size selection step (depending on kit it may not be in workflow) and prepare a library. That basically will include end-repair, A tailing and adapter ligation followed by PCR amplification. This libraries can be sequenced as shotgun libraries and then you can fish out your exons of interest bioinformatically. Other option which will reduce required sequencing, would be custom sequence capture which you have to use libraries made from highest input DNA. There is an Agilent kit for sequence capture that requires 200 ng input. But because your target region is small, you can amplify your library more to obtain the required input library into those capture reactions just to obtain target regions for sequencing.
        Last edited by nucacidhunter; 06-25-2014, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Your best option is Rubicon Genomics ThruPLEX DNA-seq Kit. Requires only 50 pg to 50 ng of input. Compatible with SureSelect and SeqCap EZ. Provides equal or better target enrichment performance from 10 ng input as the standard SureSelect or SeqCap EZ protocol at 100 ng input.

Last edited by ejan; 09-09-2014, 01:30 PM.

Comment

See paper below for plasma-seq using ThruPLEX at 1 ng and 10 ng inputs

Evaluation of Exome Sequencing to Estimate Tumor Burden in Plasma
            Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
            August, 2014
            Accurate estimation of systemic tumor load from the blood of cancer patients has enormous potential. One avenue is to measure the presence of cell-free circulating tumor DNA in plasma. Various approaches have been investigated, predominantly covering hotspot mutations or customized, patient-specific assays. Therefore, we investigated the utility of using exome sequencing to monitor circulating tumor DNA levels through the detection of single nucleotide variants in plasma. Two technologies, claiming to offer efficient library preparation from nanogram levels of DNA, were evaluated. This allowed us to estimate the proportion of starting molecules measurable by sequence capture (<5%). As cell-free DNA is highly fragmented, we designed and provide software for efficient identification of PCR duplicates in single-end libraries with a varying size distribution. On average, this improved sequence coverage by 38% in comparison to standard tools. By exploiting the redundant information in PCR-duplicates the background noise was reduced to ∼1/35000. By applying our optimized analysis pipeline to a simulation analysis, we determined the current sensitivity limit to ∼1/2400, starting with 30 ng of cell-free DNA. Subsequently, circulating tumor DNA levels were assessed in seven breast- and one prostate cancer patient. One patient carried detectable levels of circulating tumor DNA, as verified by break-point specific PCR. These results demonstrate exome sequencing on cell-free DNA to be a powerful tool for disease monitoring of metastatic cancers. To enable a broad implementation in the diagnostic settings, the efficiency limitations of sequence capture and the inherent noise levels of the Illumina sequencing technology must be further improved.

Comment

I sequenced some tumor plasma DNA and the fragment size was closer to 100 bp. We did a whole exome capture of regular TruSeq (it was a while ago). Maybe an oligo pulldown like IDT Lockdown probes? I don't have experience with those specific oligos but based on other pulldown approaches using limited baits the off-target rate will be very high but the coverage of the regions of interest will also be high since it is such a small region.
              Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses