Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best method for RNA extracton for Illumina sequencing

I am working with samples that are mixed Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic Cells, looking at prokaryotic gene expression in food. I don't work with RNA often and would like suggestions on the best method for total RNA extraction (I have only used Trizol in the past with mixed results).
    To enrich for the prokaryotic mRNA, after extraction I am planning on using Epicentre's Ribo-Zero™ Magnetic Gold Kit for removal of rRNA.
    Any other suggestions for enrichment?
    After all that, Illumina has suggested using the TruSeq® Stranded mRNA Sample Preparation.

I do mixed population (host/pathogen) RNA-Seq often and we always use the Direct-Zol kit from Zymo to do our extractions. This kit combines the advantages of Trizol with the ease of a column and always give us high-quality, high purity RNA. I've found that removal of rRNA by itself doesn't do much to enrich for the bacterial transcripts. If you know what bacteria you are looking for, I've devised a method to capture those transcripts that highly effective. Check the link below for a recent publication (first link). If you don't know what bacteria are present, you can use the Microbe-enrich kit from Ambion and/or use a differential lysis/filtration method to enrich for the bacteria up front (second link). Finally, we use a variation of the Clontech stranded RNA-Seq kit that we developed in house to create the libraries (third link). Best of luck with your experiments.

Zach

Francisella tularensis is a zoonotic intracellular pathogen that is capable of causing potentially fatal human infections. Like all successful bacterial pathogens, F. tularensis rapidly responds to changes in its environment during infection of host cells, and upon encountering different microenviro …

Little is known about the expression of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) genes during infection conditions. Here, we described the transcriptome of the clinical MRSA strain USA300 derived from human cutaneous abscesses, and compared it with USA300 bacteria derived from infected kid …

Use of second generation sequencing (SGS) technologies for transcriptional profiling (RNA-Seq) has revolutionized transcriptomics, enabling measurement of RNA abundances with unprecedented specificity and sensitivity and the discovery of novel RNA species. Preparation of RNA-Seq libraries requires c …

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I think I will try the Direct-Zol kit from Zymo along with either Microbenrich or MicrobExpress.

Comment

I've tried the Zymo kit and I'm extremely skeptical of its DNase (lyophilized? resuspended in pure water?? frozen and thawed?!?). If you're concerned at all about genomic DNA contamination, you may want to do a normal DNase treatment in solution and repurify. For whole-transcript RNA-seq this isn't usually an issue though, and the Zymo kit is cheap and fast otherwise (although the columns are poorly made).

Comment

I’ve had good results with the miRVana kit.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses