No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annealing adapters

Hello all--

I work on preparing RAD libraries, and have a question regarding annealing adapters.

Suppose my adapters' top and bottom oligos are each at a stock concentration of 100 uM. If I pool each adapter equi-molarly prior to annealing, will I have 100 uM of annealed adapter or will I have 200 uM of annealed adapter?

Of course, I am simplifying my question, because the thing that is confusing me is the molarity-result of pooling equi-molarly. I have searched for an answer, to no avail! I know this is a basic question, but it has really been stumping me!

Thank you,

Cody

You will need concentrated annealing buffer to dilute your oligos for maximum annealing. In the simplest form if you just mix equal volume of 100 uM oligos you will get 50 uM adapters.

Comment

Nucacidhunter--

Thank you for your reply. Would you mind explaining your rationale, in the example you gave above? Is it because if we pool equi-molarly, we are doubling the volume and thus the molarity decreases?

Suppose I pooled 100 umol of each component of the adapter, will I thus have 100 umol of annealed adapter?

The person who was in charge of adapter preparations at my institution left rather abruptly, so I am trying to figure this out on my own. Seems like with these simple protocols, we (at UIdaho) take them for granted until we have to do them ourselves!

Comment

If X mole of oligo A and B is annealed (the same molar concentration) it will give X mole of adapter. In the process the volume has increased by 2x, so the concentration will decrease by 1/2x.

Comment

In case you are looking for second opinions, I completely agree with nucacidhunter.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses