Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yeast chip seq - completely new to our lab!

hi everyone, i will be attempting the first ever chip seq in our lab soon and i just have a bunch of questions that i can't find answers on and hoping someone with more experience could chime in.
    this will be for yeast.
    1. i've got my hands on a protocol that has me grow yeast in 50 ml to OD 0.7, then crosslink/formaldehyde and quench with glycine, per chip sample. does this seem about right?
    2. for each pellet i collect from above, i actually want to chip with 2 different antibodies, so they'll be split in half. am i better of growing more cells or will that be enough DNA?
    3. how can i ultimately test my 'efficiency'? or in other words, whether my chip worked? i know that after shearing, usually 1% is saved as an input. (and this is the step after which i plan on separating my 1 sample into 2 equal samples) then antibody is added to to pull down cross linked dna. after uncrosslinking and purification, can i just use qubit on the 1% and on the final purified stuff to see what my yield is like?
    what is a typical yield in both ng and % of the input?
    thanks a ton! i plan on using either miseq or hiseq with illumina.

If you are using antibodies used before in other publications, I would recommend you to read these articles. The same applies to specific protein you are trying to pull down. Amount of DNA you will pull down will vary a lot. For example, if you pull down one of the core histones, you will have no problem getting enough material to work on. If you are working a protein like Histone H1 (linker histone) in budding yeast, it will be more challenging since its abundance is much lower, so you will need more starting material. I hope this helps. There are tons of research and methods papers with yeast chip experiments.

Comment

just thought i'd give an update.
      i did the chip and got about 1.5 ng dna out. my 1% input was quantified at 50 ng. (something like 0.002% of total)
      overall i'm pretty happy. this represents about 5% of the theoretical maximum i could obtain based on existing knowledge of binding site and their relative abundance with respect to the whole genome.

i will end repair, a tail, ligate adapter, pipin size select and report back

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses