Originally posted by kerplunk412
View Post
Unconfigured Ad
Collapse
X
-
Mass of genome in one human cell is 6.6 pg, so in a DNA solution of 10 ng/ul we would have equivalent of DNA from 1515 cells which would be 45,450,000 fragments of 100kb. Most standard extraction methods will result in fragments less than 100kb. So, I do not see how one can justify that 45.5 million fragments in 1ul will aggregate in a solution to give 10x variation in consecutive reads. I think just a gentle flick would be enough to have a homogenous solution (if sample was frozen) and vortexing definitely would damage large DNA fragments.
-
The 500 reaction kit is cheap (60 cents/sample) and it takes a matter of minutes to add a few extra standards. You are correct regarding the linear detection range; however, I think you should review linear regression.Originally posted by nucacidhunter View PostLinear detection range of PicoGreen is four orders of magnitude in 1 ng/ml to 1000ng/ml DNA concentration. As far as one calibrates fluorometer at 0 and 1000 range there is no need to any other concentration in between or standard curve. It seems to be waste of money and time. With correct calibration one needs only to multiply the fluorescence value in dilution factor to calculate original concentration of DNA sample.
Comment
-
Your logic makes sense to me, so maybe the difference in size before and after vortexing does not explain my observations. However, I tested this fairly rigorously and a few of my colleagues have tried this as well, so I can say with confidence that with the gDNA samples I was working with a gentle flick was not enough to get a consistent reading, vortexing was required. As far as damaging the DNA, I am pretty sure 10 seconds of vortexing will not cause enough DNA fragmentation to matter for most NGS applications. If it was that easy to fragment DNA into small pieces no one would need to buy a Covaris!Originally posted by nucacidhunter View PostMass of genome in one human cell is 6.6 pg, so in a DNA solution of 10 ng/ul we would have equivalent of DNA from 1515 cells which would be 45,450,000 fragments of 100kb. Most standard extraction methods will result in fragments less than 100kb. So, I do not see how one can justify that 45.5 million fragments in 1ul will aggregate in a solution to give 10x variation in consecutive reads. I think just a gentle flick would be enough to have a homogenous solution (if sample was frozen) and vortexing definitely would damage large DNA fragments.
Edit: I should also mention that the variation seen before vortexing was at most about 2x. Variation after vortexing was ~1%.Last edited by kerplunk412; 03-05-2015, 04:52 PM.
Comment
Latest Articles
Collapse
-
by SEQadmin2
Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.
We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing...-
Channel: Articles
-
ad_right_rmr
Collapse
News
Collapse
| Topics | Statistics | Last Post | ||
|---|---|---|---|---|
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
|
0 responses
43 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-29-2026, 09:51 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
0 responses
53 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
0 responses
43 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by SEQadmin2
09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
|
||
|
Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
|
1 response
51 views
0 reactions
|
Last Post
by pekgio
09-21-2026, 02:04 AM
|
Comment