Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • obsidiana
    Junior Member
    • Jul 2010
    • 2

    #1

    problems with 454 library prep

    I’m preparing the library for genomic DNA following the 454 protocol. However by Agilent analysis for library I’m seeing some strange 1 to 2kb long fragments beside expected 800-1000pb peak.
    Has anyone encountered a similar problem?
    Attached Files
  • LMcSeq
    Member
    • Feb 2009
    • 33

    #2
    There's been rumor that the adapter in the rapid library kit makes the libraries look much longer because of the FAM label. Try running the adapter alone on the Bioanalyzer and see what it looks like. We've seen this on many occasions and sequenced the longer libraries with good results. I'm not sure about that shouldering that you have on the right side of the library though....haven't seen that before, but I bet you can get good sequence out of it.

    Comment

    • pmiguel
      Senior Member
      • Aug 2008
      • 2328

      #3
      Originally posted by obsidiana View Post
      I’m preparing the library for genomic DNA following the 454 protocol. However by Agilent analysis for library I’m seeing some strange 1 to 2kb long fragments beside expected 800-1000pb peak.
      Has anyone encountered a similar problem?
      Which protocol? Standard or Rapid? If Standard, are these a shotgun or paired end library.

      --
      Phillip

      Comment

      • Soulbee
        Member
        • Jun 2010
        • 25

        #4
        I have also prepared cDNA libraries using rapid library kit and protocol with MID adaptors. I actually elongated the chemical fragmentation step to 1 minute instead of 30 seconds because of the large (avg ~1300bp) fragment sizes. Still, the final library's average fragment size was around 1000bp. any thoughts?

        Comment

        • LMcSeq
          Member
          • Feb 2009
          • 33

          #5
          We've seen longer libraries in general with the rapid kit. I don't think it would be any different between the regular and cDNA kits.

          Comment

          • RCJK
            Senior Member
            • May 2009
            • 156

            #6
            I've seen the same thing with many of my Rapid Libaries. They've sequenced fine though. What I've also noticed about the HS DNA Bioanalyzer chips is a lot of inconsistency. I can run the same library prep multiple times (on the same chip and across multiple chips) and I'll get a different looking result each time. I haven't had a chance to follow up w/ Agilent about this yet though. Also, it seems as though when I run a sample that has a lot of large fragments, similar to the one in the picture above, it affects the following one or two samples and they tend to not run properly. If those following samples are then rerun on a new chip or after a couple of blank wells, they will look fine.

            Comment

            • obsidiana
              Junior Member
              • Jul 2010
              • 2

              #7
              Phillip, this is the rapid protocol, a shotgun library.

              I’ve also notice the Bioanalyser chip inconsistency but in my opinion this is not the case, this seems to be more a fragmentation problem.

              We have prepared new libraries with an elongation in the fragmentation step, 1 minute 15 seconds instead 1 minute. The strange big fragments have disappeared and the average fragment size was fine.

              We will try to sequence!

              Comment

              Latest Articles

              Collapse

              • SEQadmin2
                New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                by SEQadmin2


                Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                ...
                Today, 10:25 AM
              • SEQadmin2
                How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                by SEQadmin2




                The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

              ad_right_rmr

              Collapse

              News

              Collapse

              Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
              0 responses
              27 views
              0 reactions
              Last Post SEQadmin2  
              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
              0 responses
              24 views
              0 reactions
              Last Post SEQadmin2  
              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
              1 response
              45 views
              0 reactions
              Last Post pekgio
              by pekgio
               
              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
              1 response
              55 views
              0 reactions
              Last Post pekgio
              by pekgio
               
              Working...