Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PreAmp product larger than sheared gDNA template

I am running through some pretty standard library prep for gDNA. Basically, I covaris sheared some zebrafish gDNA, check on BioA (attached). I find that I get a pretty wide distribution of sizes, kinda around 500-600 bp (which is what I'm aiming for). I then used the NEBNext kit to do end repair/dA tailing/Ligation (with custom made y-adaptors using the IDT recommended protocol). I then take all of that, do a SPRI solution at 0.6X to get rid of things that are below 300bp, then I used KAPA hifi to amplify.

Surprisingly, most of the products I get in the amplified PCR product are around 1200-1400bp (also in the attached file), which is much larger than I expected (especially compared to the profile of the sheared DNA template). I don't really know what could've happened.

The products are definitely over amplified (I wanted to make sure I see some product), but these are diverse DNA templates, so I can't really imagine over amplification would give a lot of concatemers (and the peaks don't look like concatemers anyway).

Other thing I could think of is that the sheared DNA was stored at 4 degrees for a couple of days, which I realized isn't best practice, but that should shift the product smaller if anything, not larger.

Another thing may be that the 0.6X SPRI cutoff that i usually use for PCR products may give a different cut off in the presence of the ligation/end repair buffer, but I think this is unlikely. I am running the SPRI cleaned template on bioA too.

I'm a bit confused.
    Attached Files

I think your shearing has not work that well and you have got wide fragment size distribution with double peak. PCR profile looks normal for the left cut that has been done with 0.6x beads. Some ligation buffers contain PEG that can affect the size cut. If you run bead cleaned input you will notice that peak will shift to a larger size which is normal. There is always possibility of fragments ligating to each other during ligation but I do not think this the case for this sample.
    Last edited by nucacidhunter; 05-11-2016, 06:19 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Thank you for your reply. This is my first time doing gDNA stuff (I worked with RNA exclusively before this). What could cause the shearing to not work? I eluted using the DNAeasy kit into TE, and followed the manufacturer's instruction. I thought covaris would be pretty immune to sample concentration, and things like that?

Comment

Covaris gives consistent shearing result once a protocol has been established. You can use validated protocols from TruSeq or other suppliers manual if the size fits your application. For other sizes follow Covaris manual instructions and check few shears on BA followed by optimisation if required. Following need to be considered:

1- Input volume
        2- Elimination of air pockets
        3- Water temperature
        4- Water level
        5- Degasing
        6- Input amount

Comment

If I remember correctly, different AFA tubes have their DNA input limit. MicroTube is about 10 ug max and miniTube is about 20 ug max.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses