Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some help..covaris and dilutions

Can someone please confirm I did below correctly. I am trying to figure out why my libraries aren't giving a high quant after PCR cleanup, so I'm first seeing if there is something wrong in the way I calculated the DNA concentration that was sheared on the Covaris, maybe there something about the Covaris technicalities I am missing. I have 2 dilution cases here if someone can correct them.

1. I have a DNA sample stock of 1ug/ul and want to make up a dilution of 5ug of it in 200ul. So using C1V1 = C2V2 formula, I did
    C1 = 1ug/ul
    V1 = x
    C2 = 5ug in 200ul = 25ng/ul = 0.025ug/ul
    V2 = 200ul

V1 = C2V2/C1
    V1 = (0.025ng/ul)*(200ul) / 1ug/ul

V1 = 5ul of 1ug/ul DNA stock + 195ul of buffer gives 200ul of a diluted 5ug stock

I take 100ul of this and shear on the Covaris, while the other 100ul is kept as stock. So I would be shearing an aliquot of the 5ug stock. I am pretty sure this is correct, but would be nice if someone can check.

2. I have another DNA of 50ng/ul and want to make up 3ug of it in 200ul.
    C1 = 50ng/ul
    V1 = x
    C2 = 3ug in 200ul = 15ng/ul
    V2 = 200ul
    V1 = (15ng/ul)*(200ul)/50ng/ul

V1 = 60ul of 50ng/ul DNA stock + 140ul of buffer gives 200ul of a diluted 3ug stock. I take 100ul of this and shear on the Covaris, while the other 100ul is kept as stock again. So I would be shearing an aliquot of the 3ug stock.
    Last edited by seqgirl123; 11-03-2010, 01:38 PM.

Your math is fine.

What step quantitation are you referring to? Immediately post shear, or at the Ed of he process? I assume these are Illumina libraries? How many cycles of PCR did you do? Did you check your yield prior to PCR?

Comment

Yes these are illumina libraries. I don't check yield prior to PCR, because I always thought the yield prior to PCR will be low anyway. Is there a range of concentration I should be looking for though if I check?

My other question is if I did the math another way to dilute #2. I change V2 from 200ul to 50ul, so I will make up only a 50ul final volume, not 200ul. My doubt is whether this way really gives 3ug in the end or 750ng final concentration:

C1 = 50ng/ul
      V1 = x
      C2 = 3ug in 200ul = 15ng/ul
      V2 = 50ul
      V1 = (15ng/ul)*(50ul)/50ng/ul

V1 = 15ul of 50ng/ul DNA stock + 35ul of buffer gives 50ul and I use the entire thing for shearing.

Comment

Hi seqgirl123,

Starting with 1 or 2ug of DNA should be plenty to check. You really shouldn't be losing too much DNA along the way, we seem to lose the most at the gel extraction. Are you able to see a band on your gel before the pcr amplification?

Also, on our Covaris the protocol suggests that your sample be in 120ul. If you have an air bubble in the tube I believe that it can affect shearing. I would suggest running a ul on the BioAnalyzer if you have access to one after shearing to see how your sample looks.

Comment

Hi,

Your math is fine, but remember that if you are making making a 200ul solution with 5ug of DNA, and then using 100ul for fragmenting on the Covaris, you are actually fragmenting 2.5ug of total DNA. for your 3ug/200ul sample, you are actually shearing 1.5ug of total DNA.
          Also please make sure that you are fragmenting at 130ul volume since using lower volume might cause the formation of an air-gaps which can increase the size distribution.

Thank you

Hamid

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
          0 responses