Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • davalbuq
    Junior Member
    • Jun 2018
    • 5

    #1

    Problem with the library DNA quantity and quality

    Hi all,

    It is totally new on the NGS world. Today, I started to prepare my first library preparation by using SureSelect Agilent technology. I did 6 samples (for now) and when I check the quantity/quality of my pre-capture by using the Bioanalyzer 1000 DNA chip I was not totally happy with the results. Effectively, all my 6 curves are more likely with the bad one (I attached an example). So, I understand that I have now several fragments around 300-700 pb. I was wondering about what could be happened? What I did wrong and if I can continue the protocol?

    Thank you for your help and any tips will be well received regarding the library preparation

    Regards,
    David
    Attached Files
  • nucacidhunter
    Jafar Jabbari
    • Jan 2013
    • 1250

    #2
    It seems that shearing has not resulted in expected fragment length so library size distribution is too large for SureSelect. Average library insert should be around 150 bp.

    It is better to prepare another batch of libraries and not to continue with this one. You can check sheared DNA length distribution before proceeding with library prep.

    Comment

    • davalbuq
      Junior Member
      • Jun 2018
      • 5

      #3
      Thank you very much for your prompt response. I also thought that the problem could be due during the fragmentation. However, I don't understand why because I did exactly as it says in the protocol..

      I will follow your advice and I will not follow the protocol but repeat it and see if this time improves.

      Comment

      • nucacidhunter
        Jafar Jabbari
        • Jan 2013
        • 1250

        #4
        You can check sheared DNA peak size before starting library prep and shear more if it is too large. Peak should be 150-200 bp. Your Covaris could be faulty.

        Comment

        • davalbuq
          Junior Member
          • Jun 2018
          • 5

          #5
          I didn't use the Covaris to shear the DNA but an enzymatic reaction (that one evaluated in the Agilent SureSelect kit). For this reason I don't understand where the problem could occurs.

          Comment

          • nucacidhunter
            Jafar Jabbari
            • Jan 2013
            • 1250

            #6
            I wonder which SureSelect kit you have used.

            Edit: It seems that you have copied the attached Bianalyzer trace from the SureSelect QXT manual and according to manual it is fine so you can proceed with hybridization and capture. Decreasing input DNA quantity should reduce the average fragment size. Generally larger fragment size will reduce on target reads.
            Last edited by nucacidhunter; 06-18-2018, 12:11 AM.

            Comment

            • davalbuq
              Junior Member
              • Jun 2018
              • 5

              #7
              I used the SureSelectQXT Target Enrichment for Illumina Multiplexed Sequencing kit. All my samples were around 25 ng/ul using HS Qubit assay. To shear DNA I used the SureSelect QXT Buffer and SureSelect QXT Enzyme Mix ILM as provided in the kit. Maybe I didn't vortex vigorously the samples and reagent mix?

              Comment

              • nucacidhunter
                Jafar Jabbari
                • Jan 2013
                • 1250

                #8
                Larger fragment size indicates higher DNA to transposon ratio which could be result of inaccurate pipette or quantification. It does not seem to be result of insufficient mixing.

                Reading between the lines in Agilent manual, it seems that their transposon is inconsistent evidenced by two Bioanalyzer traces that show a large difference in peak size between two preps but according to them it is fine. I would suggest to contact Agilent tech support for an explanation. I think that large peak is non-optimal for human exome capture and will result in reduced on target capture.

                Comment

                • davalbuq
                  Junior Member
                  • Jun 2018
                  • 5

                  #9
                  Thank you very much for your help. After contacting Agilent support it seems that maybe the quantification was not correct. I will try again a new library preparation during this week and see if everything will be better this time..

                  Comment

                  Latest Articles

                  Collapse

                  • SEQadmin2
                    New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                    by SEQadmin2


                    Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                    We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                    ...
                    Today, 10:25 AM
                  • SEQadmin2
                    How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                    by SEQadmin2




                    The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                    This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                    09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

                  ad_right_rmr

                  Collapse

                  News

                  Collapse

                  Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
                  0 responses
                  28 views
                  0 reactions
                  Last Post SEQadmin2  
                  Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
                  0 responses
                  24 views
                  0 reactions
                  Last Post SEQadmin2  
                  Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
                  1 response
                  46 views
                  0 reactions
                  Last Post pekgio
                  by pekgio
                   
                  Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
                  1 response
                  55 views
                  0 reactions
                  Last Post pekgio
                  by pekgio
                   
                  Working...