Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • James
    Member
    • Mar 2010
    • 23

    #1

    Making the TruSeq RNA-sample prep kit go further?

    Hello all.

    We've previously used the mRNA library prep kit, and used 1/4 volumes to make the kit go further and this was fine. What I was wondering was, has anyone done a similar thing with the new Truseq RNA kit, and if so what % of original volumes are you using? I'm not going to be doing the prep in a multiwell plate as we don't have the magnet (or enough samples to process at once), I was going to use a magnet that fits 1.5ml tubes.

    Thanks. James
  • deganuti
    Junior Member
    • Jun 2011
    • 2

    #2
    Hi James,

    could you tell me how much is the TruSeq RNA Sample Prep Kit?

    Tks

    Comment

    • James
      Member
      • Mar 2010
      • 23

      #3
      £2,265.00 makes 48 libraries

      Comment

      • RayLangley
        Junior Member
        • Jun 2011
        • 4

        #4
        Hi James,

        I haven't tried expanding the TruSeq kits but I did do it with the older kits.

        I would prefer keep the input the same. My suggestion is try 1/2 of the master mixes initially and doubling the incubation times for first strand, second strand, end repair, and a tailing. The major problem I see with this is that illumina is not providing extra MP-adapters or primers and they aren't for sell yet. You might be able to get away with using half the volumes for ligation and pcr, but if you do I would reduce your starting input by half as well. If you have really good starting input (RIN > 9) and your poly-a selection technique is good you should be okay.

        You could also try talking with tech services about getting more of the primers and adapters. They were nice enough to provide me extra primers and PCR master mix for DSN. If they have enough people requesting they hopefully will start selling.

        If you can afford it, I would highly recommend getting the dyna mag 96-well side (Catalog Number 123-31D) from invitrogen ($670). You can work with strip tubes and it is a lot easier to use with multichannel pipettors. The price is totally worth it for the amount of time you save. And I think you can easily run 24 samples at a time with a 12-channel pipettor. The magnet works really nicely with the agencourt beads.

        However, for my last experiment (desperate times call for desperate measures) - I found a rare earth bar magnet around here that I tapped the inside of a pipette tip box. For eight samples it worked fine. I think you can find these magnets in old computer hard drives. But I am honestly not certain where they found the one I was using.

        Good luck , I would love to hear how it all works.
        Ray

        Comment

        Latest Articles

        Collapse

        • SEQadmin2
          New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
          by SEQadmin2


          Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

          We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
          ...
          Today, 10:25 AM
        • SEQadmin2
          How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
          by SEQadmin2




          The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

          This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
          09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

        ad_right_rmr

        Collapse

        News

        Collapse

        Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
        0 responses
        27 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
        0 responses
        24 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post SEQadmin2  
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
        1 response
        45 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
        1 response
        55 views
        0 reactions
        Last Post pekgio
        by pekgio
         
        Working...