Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exon capture & mate-pair: Which order?

I want to create a mate-paired library for exome sequencing using the Illumina platform. Would I exon enrich using a Nimblegen array first and then create the mate-pairs, or would I fragment, circularize, cut to create the mate-pair library first and then filter these for exon regions?

From what I've read, you're going off the beaten path with this. Presumably your goal is to acquire sequence from the neighborhood of your targeted regions.

You'd get a bigger sampling of the neighborhood by hybridizing first. But, given that these will be much larger fragments than the protocols were developed for, you may find the hybridization conditions require alteration.

If you create the mate-pairs first, the key question would be are there any recurrent sequences generated by this procedure which need to be blocked and are not covered by the exome kit you are using.

Comment

If you hybridize first, I would be concerned about DNA from your capture reagent making it into your library. It probably wouldn't occur at very high frequency, but depending on you application, it might matter to you.

Comment

Have you considered exome hybridizing with the circularized mate pair library (before cutting)?

Comment

No I hadn't considered that, on the concern that it might lead to less than optimal hybridization and loss of some target regions. But this concern isn't based on any data. Has anyone tried this approach?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
            by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
            02-26-2024, 02:07 PM
          • seqadmin
            Multiomics Techniques Advancing Disease Research
            by seqadmin

New and advanced multiomics tools and technologies have opened new avenues of research and markedly enhanced various disciplines such as disease research and precision medicine1. The practice of merging diverse data from various ‘omes increasingly provides a more holistic understanding of biological systems. As Maddison Masaeli, Co-Founder and CEO at Deepcell, aptly noted, “You can't explain biology in its complex form with one modality.”

A major leap in the field has
            02-08-2024, 06:33 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Today, 06:12 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 02-23-2024, 04:11 PM