Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ZAAB
    Member
    • Apr 2011
    • 18

    #1

    150nt insert size, generating libraries, question!

    Hi All:
    I'm preparing libraries for the HiSeq...
    We're generating a library of variants, and the whole construct is 143nt long...with 30 nt in the middle that are variable (lots of variants!).

    Trying to adapt the TruSeq protocols to my application, I've already had to resort to using Qiagen Minelute columns instead of AmpPure (my size is below the threshold (all in the wash)).

    I am planning on producing 1ug of DNA (via PCR, unfortunately) to then do end-repair, phosphorylation, ligation, etc...

    Am I on the right track here...or should I assume loss after shearing? By 'loss', I mean that not all gDNA is at the correct size after shearing, but I know my PCR'd DNA is All the right size...or do I just go forward with 1ug of PCR'd DNA?

    Also, since my final size is going to be smaller than suggested, should I alter amplification/extension conditions in the cluster station? I'm not running the machine, so what should I tell the tech?

    Thanks!
  • shurjo
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2009
    • 132

    #2
    We're generating a library of variants, and the whole construct is 143nt long...with 30 nt in the middle that are variable (lots of variants!).
    If all your contructs are the same size, why do you need to shear? In fact, if you used Taq for the PCR, you can go straight to adapter ligation afterwards.

    Just my two cents.

    Comment

    • ZAAB
      Member
      • Apr 2011
      • 18

      #3
      Exactly! Yes, I am using Taq, and Yes, I do not need to shear...
      Just interested in the amount of DNA from a 1ug shearing 'reaction'..what amount is of the correct size...80%? I'll have 100%, so I don't want to overload the downstream analysis...

      Thanks for confirming why I don't need to do endrepair, etc.

      Z

      Comment

      • HESmith
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2009
        • 512

        #4
        All of the input DNA is present through the gel extraction step, so all of the reaction conditions are calculated for that amount. It's immaterial what fraction is of the desired size until the PCR amplification, and at that point the protocol has recommended guidelines based on the amount of fragment.

        Comment

        • ZAAB
          Member
          • Apr 2011
          • 18

          #5
          I guess I was worried about overloading the ligation reaction with insert. I am never convinced that all DNA is carried forward when there is a wash/Ampure step.
          Thanks for all replies.

          I ended up performing the A-tailing rxn again, even though its TAQ-amplified, as I know A's do 'fall off' from experience. And, that volume and enzyme mix is present in the ligation rxn, with no cleanup involved between those steps.

          THanks!

          Comment

          Latest Articles

          Collapse

          • SEQadmin2
            New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
            by SEQadmin2


            Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

            We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
            ...
            Yesterday, 10:25 AM
          • SEQadmin2
            How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
            by SEQadmin2




            The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

            This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
            09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

          ad_right_rmr

          Collapse

          News

          Collapse

          Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by SEQadmin2, Today, 09:51 AM
          0 responses
          7 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
          0 responses
          31 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
          0 responses
          27 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post SEQadmin2  
          Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
          1 response
          47 views
          0 reactions
          Last Post pekgio
          by pekgio
           
          Working...