Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compare Genomes

Hi everyone, I did Genome assembly by SOAPdenovo and obtained contigs and scaffolds, now I wanna compare these scaffolds to some reference genomes downloaded from Genbank. I am wondering what tools I can use to do this job, I used BLAST but it is not in good visualization, any other advice on such tools and programs?
    I am new to this, any suggestion is appreciated.
    Thanks

Use NUCmer from the MUMmer package (available from Sourceforge.) For large reference genomes, you have to split the reference into smaller pieces for it to fit in memory, then align everything to those pieces. It is relatively fast and efficient, and seems to be a commonly used tool as the basis for other assembly comparison pipelines. There are some recently available wrapper scripts which automate some of the steps, but it's not tough to run through the steps yourself. The online docs for MUMmer as a whole are very good.

Comment

For mammalian genomes, use bwa-sw. Two human assemblies in several CPU days.

Comment

De novo to reference comparison

I have had good luck with both MUMmer and MAUVE.
        MAUVE is very straight forward and MUMmer I simply follow the recipes in the manuel.

Comment

But is it good to use the contigs files or to use the scaffolds files for comparison?

Comment

Compare Genomes

I suppose it depends what your question is.
            But, typically the goal of genome assembly is to create one scaffold per chromosome (assemble the entire genome/chromosome). With this in mind, I think it would make more sense to compare scaffolds to scaffolds.

Comment

However, scaffolds are nothing but a combination of contigs filled with "estimates" of gaps in between. Does that not mean then that it is more sensible to compare contigs than to compare scaffolds as it has estimate of gaps in between which may be highly erroneous!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses