No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gruberjd
    replied
    thanks gaffa, the right search term is exactly what I needed and I didn't know 'mappability'... something definitely wasn't right about "uniqueness". Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• gaffa
    replied
    The term "mappability" has emerged to refer to this - using this as a search term is likely to yield results. There are a few tools that compute mappability measures, for example GEM: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...ility_man_page.

Leave a comment:

• gruberjd
    replied
    Hi Twaddlac--

Thanks for the reply. I don't think depth can get me all the way. Sometimes the depth is lower than "regular" sequence, but not always. It can also look normal or be higher (which would make sense if reads from two locations in the genome are mapping to the same place). I must tolerate the possibility of real heterozygotes so allele frequency can only do so much, also.

I am already using SAMtools, but I'll check out varscan, Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• twaddlac
    replied
    Wouldn't you be able to infer true positives based on the depth and nucleotide ratios at that position? '

Since you have the SAM/BAM output you could try varscan (http://varscan.sourceforge.net/) or the samtools pipeline (http://samtools.sourceforge.net/mpileup.shtml). You can filter these SNPs with these tools and they both provide nucleotide resolution for each putative SNP. More so the samtools pipeline, but I prefer varscan sine it is a bit cleaner.

Leave a comment:

• gruberjd
    started a topic annotation of local sequence "uniqueness"

annotation of local sequence "uniqueness"

Hi all-- I am attempting to filter out false "SNPs" in my bowtie assemblies (yeast genomic DNA). One major predictor of SNP falseness is being located in a regions that shows sequence similarity with somewhere else in the genome (e.g., paralogs, telomeres).

I've attempted to limit the read mismapping that underlies these SNPs by tweaking the bowtie parameters, but I still get quite a few. So an alternative would be to ask, for each region containing a putative SNP, what is the local uniqueness?

Does anyone know of a previously generated track that catalogs this property? Or better still, a tool that would perform a sliding window analysis (probably by parsing BLAST or BLAT) to record it for any given sequence?

Thanks!

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Recent Developments in Metagenomics
    by seqadmin

Metagenomics has improved the way researchers study microorganisms across diverse environments. Historically, studying microorganisms relied on culturing them in the lab, a method that limits the investigation of many species since most are unculturable1. Metagenomics overcomes these issues by allowing the study of microorganisms regardless of their ability to be cultured or the environments they inhabit. Over time, the field has evolved, especially with the advent...
    09-23-2024, 06:35 AM
  • seqadmin
    Understanding Genetic Influence on Infectious Disease
    by seqadmin

During the COVID-19 pandemic, scientists observed that while some individuals experienced severe illness when infected with SARS-CoV-2, others were barely affected. These disparities left researchers and clinicians wondering what causes the wide variations in response to viral infections and what role genetics plays.

Jean-Laurent Casanova, M.D., Ph.D., Professor at Rockefeller University, is a leading expert in this crossover between genetics and infectious...
    09-09-2024, 10:59 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 10-02-2024, 04:51 AM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 10-01-2024, 07:10 AM
0 responses