Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sigma Genomeplex Whole genome amplification primer removal

Someone recently asked me to help them build an assembly for some 454 data sequenced after using the Sigma/Aldrich Genomeplex Whole Genome Amplicification kit. Unfortunately, the primer sequencing used in library construction are all proprietary sequences and I can't seem to find them anywhere. Has anyone else dealt with this type of data and need for unknown primer removal. Any suggestions on how to identify possible primer sequences and cut them out of my sequences aside from some sort of wholesale global end-trimming approach?

We had a similar issue with some metagenomics samples that we were doing for a collaborator, and if I recall correctly, we could identify the Sigma primers by examining a small number of the reads. The primer sequences were common on all of the reads.

Comment

Thanks for the response, bbeitzel. Yes, I noticed a common sequence as well, which is probably the Universal primer, in lots (~53% of all, ~5% at 3' end and ~48% at 5' end) of the reads, but not all. Unfortunately, the sequence is ~18bp long and Sigma said their universal primer was 30 bp. Was your motif closer to one of these two? Unfortunately, our template in this case is likely to have lots of repetitive motifs in them (microdissected chromosome with big peri-centromeric regions) so we need to be as careful as possible about removing components that are actually meaningful to us.

Comment

Well, for future reference, if anyone runs into this thread, I ended up using an on-line program called TagCleaner to identify possible primer tags in next-gen sequences and then cut them out using that tool. Seemed to work well.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses