Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloud Computing for Assembly?

Is anyone working on this? I am interested in using cloud computing for a de novo Solexa assembly of mammal transcriptome. Looked at Amazon, but they will only dedicate ~15gb RAM per instance/user.

Any ideas? Matt

Would it be possible to start up multiple instances and cluster them so they share the RAM? I could be talking rubbish though, as I'm not well versed in EC2 or computing clusters!

There's a test program in the Amazon Elastic Map Reduce called CloudBurst which is supposed to do short read mapping to a reference genome, although I haven't used it, I've only seen the paper. The Amazon info for it is at http://developer.amazonwebservices.c...xternalID=2272.

Comment

That is pretty cool. I'd love to get together a more complete userguide for launching EC2 instances for beginners (myself included).

I know of another similar cloud project that is getting ready to launch...maybe that time is getting closer!

Comment

I am starting to look into this, I'll let you guys know if I get anywhere.
        --
        Senthil Palanisami

Comment

Hi Matt,
          I've talked to Amazon Web Services and it sounds like a viable option for running a distributed-RAM method like ABySS. Pretty affordable too. They recommended a contractor to me who has experience setting up MPI-enabled jobs on EC2 which would be necessary to do ABySS.

I believe they are also going to get some larger-RAM machines available in the near future.

Best,
          Kristen

Comment

Just go and try it here erp on cloud

Comment

Hi,
              You can use the "High-Memory Quadruple Extra Large Instance" instance type, which comes with 64GB of RAM and costs $1.8 per hour:
              Amazon EC2 instance types comprise varying combinations of CPU, memory, storage, and networking capacity. This gives you the flexibility to choose an instance that best meets your needs.

For prices, see http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/pricing/

Comment

Hi,
                If there are enough interests on a user guide on how to get starting with Amazon EC2, I can put one together.

Q

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses