Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'n' in PacBio assembled sequences?

I used Celera to assemble PacBio with correction with 454 sequences.

However, I found letter n (other than atcg) in the assembled result. Why ? and how do I fix it?

You can get an "N" in assemblies from all read types, and typically this means there was no clear consensus - some of the reads suggested on base, other reads another. Some assemblies might use other IUPAC ambiguity codes if they can tell for example the base is either an A or C.

Such positions could be SNPs if you are sequencing a mixed population, or different alleles if you are sequencing something with two (or more) copies of each chromosome, or errors in assembly (e.g. merging two similar regions into one), etc.

It is also possible by bad luck in a low coverage region that all your reads at that position happen to have an N rather than a clear base.

Comment

Good eye. N is from Celera Assember in this case, rather than PacBio.

If you've got enough PacBio coverage, you can run Quiver for assembly polishing, which can lead to final accuracy of > 99.999%. See www.pacbiodevnet.com/quiver. That can remove or introduce Ns, depending on the situation. You can use this option to reduce the number of Ns in certain cases.

--noEvidenceConsensusCall=reference

Comment

Do yo mean use Quiver instead of celera ?

Is Quiver a standard/common tool for assembling PacBio? (I'm new to PacBio)

Comment

Quiver is a beta tool for PacBio that will become standard in the next release. It's available on github now. Here's a documentation link:

GitHub is where people build software. More than 100 million people use GitHub to discover, fork, and contribute to over 420 million projects.

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I have 2 more questions.

1. Does Quiver still need next-generation sequences for correction?

2. Any chance, by changing any parameters, I could reduce n in Celra?

Comment

Good questions. Quiver is a consensus and variant caller, like the GATK Haplotype Caller, rather than a de novo assembly algorithm.

1. HGAp does not need 2nd gen sequences (or PacBio CCS) for error correction, if that's your question. Quiver is used by HGAp, but it's only for generating the final assembly sequence after you've got your contigs. It's not an "error correction" algorithm.

2. I'm not aware of which parameters would reduce the Ns in Celera Assembler. Sorry!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses