Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPKM and multiple reads, tophat and cufflinks

My understanding of the RPKM calculation in Tophat is that it includes multi-reads that match < 40 times in the genome (by default).

It seems like cufflinks does something more complex involving some kind of allocation of multiple reads.

Cufflinks models the sequencing process by asking what the probability is of observing each read, given a set of transcripts and a set of abundances. The program then multiplies these probabilities to compute the overall likelihood that one would observe the reads in the experiment, given the proposed abundances on the transcripts. Because Cufflinks' statistical model is linear, the likelihood function has a unique maximum value, and Cufflinks finds it with a numerical optimization algorithm.

I know we're supposed to start using cufflinks' RPKM now, but I'd like to understand tophat's as well. Does anyone know if my description is correct?

Correct - both TopHat and Cufflinks include multireads in their RPKM calculations

Comment

I would like to use Cufflinks to assemble SOLiD reads, so unfortunately I can't use bowtie. Are there any recommendations about the maximum number of mappings any read should not exceed to be included in Cufflink's analysis ? In other words, should I discard reads that map e.g. to >40 locations in the genome before running Cufflinks ?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comment

You should try leaving them in, but make sure their mapping quality is set to 0. Cufflinks will use them to assemble transcripts, but they will contribute little to nothing to RPKM's of transcripts that contain them. Leaving them out could create voids in read coverage where there are transcribed repeats (as happens not uncommonly in UTRs, etc), which could break up the gene models.

Comment

Please allow me to ask two related questions:

1. If I do use TopHat and Bowtie to do the alignment, will the mapping qualities of multireads be automatically adjusted? From the Bowtie manual it seems that mapping quality is always set to 255 at the moment.

2. Is the default value of 40 a good one for mammalian genomes? I have been using 10 in my own calculation so far and I am a bit curious about this default value.

Thanks a lot!

-- Leo

Comment

Originally posted by HTS View Post
            Please allow me to ask two related questions:

1. If I do use TopHat and Bowtie to do the alignment, will the mapping qualities of multireads be automatically adjusted? From the Bowtie manual it seems that mapping quality is always set to 255 at the moment.
            Yes, TopHat calculates its own mapping quality. After ranking the alignments for each read, TopHat outputs all the alignments in the top rank. If there are more than one, then the probability that the read is incorrect (i.e. the mapping quality) is (1 - 1/p), assuming one of the alignments in the top rank *is* the correct one.

Originally posted by HTS View Post
            2. Is the default value of 40 a good one for mammalian genomes? I have been using 10 in my own calculation so far and I am a bit curious about this default value.
            It should be fine - Reducing it might cut down on your running time a bit, but not drastically in my opinion.

Comment

Hi,

VEEERY basic question: When calculating FPKM, what is the "correct" M value to use: Total unique mapped reads (i.e., the awk-ed file of accepted hits), or ALL the hits, i.e, all the alignments that TopHat output? What does cufflinks take as the M in FPKM?

Thanks for your help.

Carmen

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses