Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SEQnovice
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2012
    • 6

    #1

    Determining Replicates for DESeq?

    Hello, I am relatively new to RNA-Seq data analysis so I apologize in advance if this is a novice question.
    I have been reading several forums on the subject and I think I have the general idea, but I would be happy to get advice from the experts.

    I have RNA-Seq data for multiple samples of a specific cancer. Previously from Gene Expression analysis (on Illumina platforms) the lab ran before I arrived, we have learned in that this cancer can be divided into 3 subgroups (1,2,3). I would like to find the list of differentially expressed genes between RNA-Seq samples pertaining to subgroups 2 and 3, using DESeq.

    I am somewhat confused here as to what I should consider as my 'biological replicates', or whether I should not consider replicates at all for my analysis.

    For each of the subgroups, I only have one sample per patient. So the scenario looks like this:

    Subgroup 2: Sample A, Sample B, Sample C, Sample D

    Subgroup 3: Sample X, Sample Y, Sample Z, Sample F, Sample W

    In this case, should I consider that Samples A,B,C,D are all biological replicates of Subgroup 2, and Samples X,Y,Z,F,W as biological replicates of Subgroup3? Each of the samples in the subgroup pertains to a different patient, and there is no control sample for each patient (and in this case, no pairing between my samples).

    If I am to consider this scenario, any advice on the DESeq parameters? Right now I am just running the defaults as appears in the vignette.

    The alternative is to consider that I don't have any replicates and run the two groups. So the DESeq for calculating dispersions would be like this:

    cds = estimateDispersions( cds, method="blind", sharingMode="fit-only", fitType="local" )

    I have tried both scenarios. In the case where I don't consider any replicates at all, I have ended up with a much larger number of differentially expressed genes at p<0.1 (1380 as opposed to 92).

    Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you in advance! Deena
  • Simon Anders
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2010
    • 995

    #2
    Originally posted by SEQnovice View Post
    In this case, should I consider that Samples A,B,C,D are all biological replicates of Subgroup 2, and Samples X,Y,Z,F,W as biological replicates of Subgroup3?
    Short answer: Yes.

    Longer answer: I should probably write a more extensive answer on this as you are not the first one to ask with question, discussing why the term "biological replicate" is actually quite an abuse of terminology, that did manage to cause quite some confusion. I'll get to that.

    Comment

    • Simon Anders
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2010
      • 995

      #3
      I should add: For a comparison of cancer types, three and four samples are usually way too few, and even more so, if you don't have matched healthy tissue samples from the same patients, so I wouldn't be too optimistic about your results.

      Also, are you sure that you got _more_ hits with "blind" than with the standard work-flow? Should be the other way round.

      Comment

      • SEQnovice
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2012
        • 6

        #4
        Hi Simon,
        Thanks for the very speedy answer! The cancer types are slightly larger (9 vs 6), I was just putting out a generic question, but you are right that they are still quite few in number either way.

        I guess the main confusion is that in this case, the pooled samples are not truly biological replicates. In my scenario I would have originally considered that biological replicates are if I had multiple cancer samples per patient for each subgroup, so Sample A1, A2, etc. ...I look forward to reading your explanation on this.

        And yes, I did get more hits with blind than standard workflow, which was why I started questioning the issue of replicates. I did have a look at the variance between the gene counts for the samples of each of my subgroups, there doesn't seem to be a high degree of variation in these samples with the exception of 8-9 genes that are outliers per subgroup.
        This may be explain why the number of differentially expressed is quite poor?

        I will run it again just to be sure and let you know.
        Thanks,
        Deena

        Comment

        • Simon Anders
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2010
          • 995

          #5
          "sharing-mode="fit-only"' is extremely sensitive to outliers, which are turned into false positives. This is why we recommend to avoid it (except for the blind mode where it is unavoidable). So all the extra hits are probably false positives.

          This whole stuff with the sharing mode is a bit of a hack, and replacing this with something more well founded was one of the main motivations for developing DESeq2.

          Comment

          • SEQnovice
            Junior Member
            • Nov 2012
            • 6

            #6
            Thanks, I will look into DESeq2.

            But just for the sake of completing this exercise, I am assuming the following dispersion estimation is correct?

            cds = estimateDispersions( cds, method="blind", sharingMode="maximum", fitType="parametric" )

            Why wouldn't you use "pooled" or "per-condition" here for the method? Just thinking with regards to dealing with the outliers.

            Thanks,
            Deena

            Comment

            Latest Articles

            Collapse

            • SEQadmin2
              New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
              by SEQadmin2


              Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

              We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
              ...
              Yesterday, 10:25 AM
            • SEQadmin2
              How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
              by SEQadmin2




              The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

              This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
              09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

            ad_right_rmr

            Collapse

            News

            Collapse

            Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
            0 responses
            30 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
            0 responses
            25 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post SEQadmin2  
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
            1 response
            46 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post pekgio
            by pekgio
             
            Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
            1 response
            55 views
            0 reactions
            Last Post pekgio
            by pekgio
             
            Working...