No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makeblastdb errors

Hi All,

I'm trying to make a blast database, but I'm not sure what type of file I have. What I'm trying to do is take the R1 and R2 files from RNA-seq and create a database. When I make my database can these two files be put together into one database or will I have to make a separate database for each file? Right now I'm just doing one file at a time.

Here is an example of the command I'm using:
    makeblastdb -in SM1_no_dups_R1.q -dbtype 'nucl' -out SM1R1db

The error:
    BLAST options error: SM1_no_dups_R1.q does not match input format type, default input type is FASTA

Here's part of my file:
    @D3NH4HQ1:107:C0LN7ACXX:1:1101:1423:2144 1:N:0:ATCACG
    CGGCTTCAGACATTTTGGGTCTTCCTTACTAGCAACACATTTTTGTGCAAGGTCTGTGACATCTTTTACCATTTTAGCTGCTTCTTCATAAGTGCTTT
    +
    CCFFFFFHHGHHJJJJHIJHHHIIJJJIJJJJJJJJJJDIJJJJJHIIJJJJGHIJJJIJIJJJJJJHHHHHHF@DFFFEEEEEEEDDEECCFDDEDD
    @D3NH4HQ1:107:C0LN7ACXX:1:1101:1418:2180 1:N:0:ATCACG
    CTGGTTGCAAATAGACTGGTTCTTATGGGCAAGAACAAAAAGAGTGTGATATGGTCCAACTGAGCCATACAGTATTTCCAGACTTCAACAGGTCAATC
    +
    @@DDDDDAFHFH@<?EEFG@9?FEEHHIGFBEBEDFHFGBB@7?9BGFEHGII@BB)=CG@GGGADEAGHHFC??7>C?BDDECCCCCCCAAACCCDC
    @D3NH4HQ1:107:C0LN7ACXX:1:1101:1835:2135 1:N:0:ATCACG
    GCATGTCTGATGAAGTGGGTCTTCACCCACCAAAGGTTATGCTCCAATATATCTGCTAGTCTATAAGGTGCCACAAGATTCTTTGCTGCTCTTGCAGA
    +

Thank you!

You have a FASTQ format file, which is the standard for NGS data. makeBlastdb on the other hand expects FASTA file as default input.

Is there a reason you are trying to use blast for the searches instead of using a NGS aligner (like bwa, bowtie, STAR etc)?

Comment

Right, that makes sense. The goal is to create this database and use a query file of genes to search for genes. I'm fairly new to this whole area so I'm not even sure what my best options are. I was advised to create a database with these read files, but not how I can go about doing that.

Comment

Before you go too far into this you may want to peruse this document: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Next_Ge...cing_%28NGS%29

Start with the preprocessing/alignment sections.

Comment

This definitely looks like something I need! Thank you and hopefully soon I will be able to ask more informed questions.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses