No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• impact of mutations in splicing sites

hi,

I would like to score the impact of mutations occurring in gene regions that the variant effect predictor state as 'splice_variant'. Note that at this moment I do not want to predict whether the mutations create a cryptic splice site.

I guess that there are some consensus sequences for both donor and acceptors, but I assume that it is more complicated that to construct the weight matrix by myself and check how it fits the wild type vs the mutant.

Actually, I'm a bit lost. I found the Human Splice Finder and the MaxEntScan, but I am not sure of how to interpret their results, and -mainly- I would need some tool that can be run by script, since them are only available via manual entering of the data in the web.

many thanks,
    david

Ensembl VEP annotates mutations affecting the 5' and 3' and last two bases of the annotated introns as splice_donor_variant / splice_acceptor_variant, it does not predict de novo splice sites.

To further filter the annotation you can try these four things:

Eliminate variants exclusive to transcripts that are known pseudogenes or undergo NMD.

Grab the nucleotide conservation scores from UCSC, real splice sites should have very high conservation scores.

Eliminate splice variants that affect noncanonical GT AG splice sites.

Filter common dbSNPs identified in 1000 Genomes data and NHLBI GO Exomes

Comment

If you are interested in de novo splice site potential you might be interested in this:
      SKIPPY_-_Exonic_Splice_Modulator_Scoring

Web query:
      A collection of online resources developed by NHGRI Division of Intramural Research investigators, including specialized genomic databases and novel software tools for use in genomic analysis

Home:
      A collection of online resources developed by NHGRI Division of Intramural Research investigators, including specialized genomic databases and novel software tools for use in genomic analysis

Pub:
      Woolfe, A., Mullikin, J., and Elnitski, L. 2009. Genomic features defining exonic variants that modulate splicing. Genome Biology. 11:R20 [PubMed]

See: Table S1 – List of 87 Synonymous and Missense variants that cause exon skipping ,used for analysis in this study. The variants are located in 40 genes and 47 individual ,exons. Variant locations are from human genome assembly hg18. References can be ,found in the main text of the paper.

Additional file 1. List of 87 synonymous and missense splice-affecting genome variants (SAVs) that cause exon skipping used for analysis in this study. The variants are derived from [12,13,37,41,44,47,48,54-56,65-103].

Format: PDF Size: 117KB Download file

Comment

thanks for the answer!

I think that I am going to score as 'highly deleterious' those mutations in 2 last/ 2 initial bases of introns in canonical splice sites, as I am currently doing with mutations in exons introducing a stop codon or a frameshift indel. For those mutations in other splice regions of the intron, for the moment I will consider them as having unknown effect, since I am not able to find a reliable score to classify their deleterious potential, and actually they should be not well catalogued -I guess- since I am dealing with exome seq data.

Now I will move towards the assessment of how mutations in exons can create cryptic splice junctions. Absolutely, I will check skippy, it looks very nice!

thanks again,
        best
        David

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses