No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating bacterial reference genomes

Dear all,

I would like to create two complete bacterial genomes from two recently described bacteria. I have draft genomes for both. My plan is to create a second library using the 454. Is it likely that I would be able to close the genomes using this strategy?

For the draft assembly I used the Illumina MiSeq 250bp paired end reads and got x60 coverage. I then assembled the genomes using CLC genomics workbench and got these assemblies:
    1. Contigs 92, N50 144,715, GC content 56%, size 5.2 Mb
    2. Contigs 327, N50 38,957, GC content 53%, size 5.4 Mb

Thanks

If you can get access to a Pacific Biosciences sequencer then that would be best. There are commercial providers in case you do not have local access to one.

Last edited by GenoMax; 11-13-2013, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Thanks GenoMax,

I thought about PacBio but guessed the cost would be prohibitive and hoped the 454 would be able to get the job done for cheaper.

Comment

You could try MiSeq with large inserts. It should definitely help with assembly..
        savetherhino.org

Comment

If you are interested in truly "finishing" the genomes it may be worth spending the extra effort/money on PacBio. You can inquire with a provider (http://www.pacificbiosciences.com/su...cing_provider/) to see what the cost may be. That should only take a few emails/calls.

Comment

We didn't manage to close any of 25 bacterial genomes with 454 only. I haven't used PacBio, but I hear good things about it for closing.

Comment

Definitely PacBio, it's actually competitively priced with 454, perhaps cheaper. Try Duke University's quote generator: https://dugsim.net/

Comment

Primer Walking

If you can scaffold pretty well, you can use Sanger to close the small stuff and then roll on to primer walking for anything too large for that. Genewiz and other companies offer services at a per megabase rate.

The problem with using short read to fill gaps in short read is that the same problems trip them both up.

If you can't scaffold well, you can use OpGen to get that bootstrapped, by the way. However, it isn't inexpensive.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses